free website stats program SE Air Intake Install Question | Harley Davidson Forums

SE Air Intake Install Question

israguard

Hi Guys,
As mentioned in my Dobeck TFI post, I installed the SE air intake I got from the dealer. All went very well but something is bugging me about the install & instruction sheet.

I am attaching 3 seperate pictures to better explain my question

Picture # 1 shows a very close shot of the back plate which is attached to the intake manifold. The supplied gasket was installed and a very tight fit achieved.

Picture# 2 shows the two screw holes which connect the original HD bracket to the original HD air filter.

Picture # 3 shows the original bracket bike came with

Here comes the question lol..
When attaching the new SE backplate the first time, I had left the bracket on the bike. However, because of that.. there was a gap between the back plate & the intake manifold. I had no choice but to remove the bracket & bolt the back plate directly into the "engine". Once bracket was removed... PERFECT fit... bike runs there is peace. And yes, supplied gasket was installed. The size of the gap was exactly equal to the thickness of the bracket.

Why do they show the bracket in the instructions ?.
Is it ok that the backplate is bolted into the engine without a bracket as an in-between ?.

Im going riding today... just want to make sure all is good

Tks

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 73
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 72
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 67
YOU DE MAN !!!!!!
Well, looks like I did it well after all.

Glider.. always a pleasure when yourself & other Gurus here confirm things so quickly.

I also gotta tell you that after doing this & the Dobeck.. Other than major engine work.. really do feel like its very possible to do so much work by yourself and not only save some $$... but personal gratification.

Best regards,
Shawn (Montreal, Canada)

YOU DE MAN !!!!!!
Well, looks like I did it well after all.

Glider.. always a pleasure when yourself & other Gurus here confirm things so quickly.

Best regards,
Shawn (Montreal, Canada)

I wish everyone would take a tour through the self help forum before posting the question on the forum. Many of the commonly asked questions on the forum are answered there after compiling many years of information to post the answers there.
It bothers me when a member posts a question on the forum and then immediately signs off instead of doing a search to see if they can find the answer for themselves.

I had the same ? and once I called the dealer they told me the instructions where not that clear, but taking the bracket of was the right thing to do.

Can you use a K&N a/f in place of the se a/f, I have se set up and would like use a K&N a/f, but cant seem to find a part # from K&N

Yes you can. The K&N is PN HD0800 and you can order them at any Autozone for a lot less money that elsewhere. Takes 2-3 days to come in.

Back