free website stats program SE Air Cleaner Install | Harley Davidson Forums

SE Air Cleaner Install

Subby

Will be installing an SE Air Cleaner on my /09 Ultra in the next week. Reading the install instructions, it says to remove the maxi fuse and the fuel tank? Really? Looking at the bike I can't see why these have to be removed. I can see turning the igntition off and the kill switch to off but why do you have to remove the maxi fuse? And why would the tank have to come off? I'm sure that someone here has done the install...give me some pointers please. I've done a fair amount of work on bikes over the years but this is my first Harley so I'm looking to the "experts".

You can install by propping up the tank (careful not to go to much or you might break the fuel line). You will have to use some patience removing the two allen screws to put on the new plate. Just take your time. You do not have to remove the maxi fuse either.

The instructions with almost any Harley part tells ya to pull the fuse or disconnect the battery. I put the SE air Cleaner on my 10 RG and did not have to remove the Tank, if anything ya might have to remove the rear bolt and prop it up a little. You can disconnect the fuel line by simply pulling down on the quick connect fitting.......careful ya might get a little gas outta there, have a rag handy. Have fun!

If you need to pull the fuel line, pull the fuel pump fuse and then start the bike to drain the line, the engine will die in like 2 seconds. Then when you disconnect you'll get a lot less fuel spaying around.

If you need to pull the fuel line, pull the fuel pump fuse and then start the bike to drain the line, the engine will die in like 2 seconds. Then when you disconnect you'll get a lot less fuel spaying around.

That is absoluteley spot on. You might be able to raise up the rear of the gas tank enough to unbolt the old hardware, but why? It is so much easier and convenient to remove the tank. Late model Harley gas tanks on the touring bikes are a snap to take off. It does help if it is about out of gas though, as they can get heavy when full.

If you are doing the SE backplate as I just did I was kinda confused on that too. After removing the old backplate, I held the new one up to where it bolts onto the heads and I still had a gap between the backplate and throttle body. I went back to the dealer saying I though I had the wrong plate. Then I finally found out you have to remove the plate that holds the throttle body to the heads and to get to the 2 allen screws that hold the plate and tb together you have to take the tank bolts loose and prop it up a little bit. Stick a rag under the back of it or something like that. When I take my fuel line disconnect apart it has never had any pressure on it. (2010)

I did not have to remove or loosen the tank to do mine. I just placed the the allen wrench in the bolt and turned. It probably took me a lot longer than most of you, but I am kind og stubborn that way.

Cchips, welcome to the HDTimeline forum and your first post. Yes having patience (and being a bit stubborn)...does not hurt. :D

Subby; if you're a patient person & don't have "giant hands" - I'd try the install w/o propping or removing tank. If not & you need the work space - definitely pull fuse, run bike & prop/remove. I installed my TFI w/propping, but it was tight (wish I removed). Purging the fuel is necessary so you relieve pressure to pop the quick disconnect line under tank. Don't want to break this connector - can create quite a messy situation...good luck & let us know how the install goes.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I thought the instructions were a bit of overkill. I'll be making the change next week. I'll be adding the SE air cleaner and a V&H fuelpack but I'm keeping the stock mufflers because there doesn't appear to be much difference in power... just sound... if I went with the SE performance tourning slip ons I was considering. Since I'm happy with the sound from the stock pipes, I'll keep them for now. I don't plan on any engine mods other than Stage 1 so the Fuel Pak should do the job just fine. The dealer rcommended just letting them do a 103 cu in download for about the same price and leave the air cleaner stock but I know from this forum that all that would have done is return the A/F ratio back to a stock lean condition so I'm going with Plan A. Will post how it went and my opinion of the performace change, if any.

Back