free website stats program Screweylouies Tip For Cleaning Wheels | Harley Davidson Forums

Screweylouies Tip For Cleaning Wheels

J

Jack Klarich

Talking Amazing bare aluminum wheel cleaner!
I just discovered a product that removes water spots and the black spots from the polished aluminum wheels on my Fat Bob! I've tried all the Simichrome and Mothers type cleaners and, yes, they do work to a degree but it takes a LOT of elbow grease. It's a powdered cleanser called "Bar Keepers Friend". It comes in a "Comet" like container. I also used a "Scotch Brite No Scratch Scrub Sponge". They are the blue ones. I soak the sponge in a bucket of water, apply some Bar Keepers Friend powder to the scotch brite side of the sponge and polish the black spots and water stains off with relatively no effort or pressure at all! I rinsed the sponge out real well and wiped off the residue. I then used a clean towel to dry the wheel off. I can now clean up my wheels faster than I can wash the rest of the bike!! I don't know why I didn't think of it before, I discovered this stuff 20 years ago for a substitute for the pricey stuff they recommend for cleaning smooth top stoves. Doesn't scratch in the least, works better, and a $2.00 container lasts a VERY long time! This just made my day for $2.00!! This is originally ScreweyLoiues Tip, he did not have enough posts as of yet to enter this So I did it for him as We both think it is a worthy tip:s

Where to Buy Bar Keepers Friend | All Purpose Cleaner

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a very good find and thanks to Louie, I have tried this tip, I am not a big wheel cleaner, that said 15 minutes and my wheels look like new again:D

Where did you find it Jack? This sounds great and I can't wait to try it.

Any good hardware store should have it, or try Publix, Sceweylouie found the tip but did not have enough posts to put the tip up so we collaborated on it, I must say this stuff works great:s

I think I will try it too. Do the wheels have a coating on the aluminum? I have a 2010 SG and thought I read somewhere where they are coated with a clear coat.

Back