free website stats program screamin eagle push rod nuts | Harley Davidson Forums

screamin eagle push rod nuts

kemo

R.I.P
Has anyone had a problem with the S/E adjustable push rod jam nuts splitting. I had one nut crack in half and have read of several other incidents of the nuts cracking. If you have to replace the nut you have to buy a complete p/rod from Harley, the nuts are not available separately

This is the second bike I have owned both of which I put S.E. pushrods in and never had a problem with either set. Sounds like maybe they were cranked to tight, they should not break.

kemo; I doubt that HD has thier OWN pitch thread just for pushrods. It may be fine thread or metric, but you should be able to find nuts. Maybe HD resurrected "whitworth" threads for the pushrods. :newsmile100:

The nut is a 3/8" x 24 tpi but the outside is 1/2 flats. I drilled a nut out and tapped it, but it isn't hard like the S/E nut, and I cannot find the nuts at a fastner wholesaler. They have nuts that are 9/16. My point is that this is quite a common problem.
kemo

I never heard of that happening to anyone I know. Did it break while adjusting it or while it was running? I seriously never ran across that but hey, stranger things have happened.

After I did the initial install I went for a 150 mile ride. Everything was good. After supper I went for a 10 mile ride and into the ride it started to get noisy. I made it home and pulled the p/r covers and the rear intake had backed right off so I readjust them. A year later I thought that I would check them and while locking the nut felt like it slipped a thread, I gave it a little tweek and the nut came apart. I was leaving on a trip a couple of days later and couldn't get a proper nut so that is when I manufactuerd my nut. It has been in there for 10000 miles now with no problems
kemo

Back