free website stats program Screamin Eagle Heavy breather Issues | Harley Davidson Forums

Screamin Eagle Heavy breather Issues

tubguy

Hello to all, I hope someone can give me some guidance. I`m installing the S/E heavy breather on my 2010 EG with the lowers. I have the compact design that will fit better with the lowers.

During the install I have noticed that the gaskets they provided are not thick enough to fill the gap between the New Backplate and the induction module. Can I add another gasket to this or how about gasket sealant.

The other problem I have, while tightening the housing I cracked the left side back on the backplate mounting bracket where the breather screws thread through. This is how I found that there was the gap between the gaskets.

For this type of problem in the past I have used something called (liquid metal) not sure the name, to seal up the crack. Its not huge and there's no pressure feed.

Thanks in advance Tubguy

What was keeping the backing plate from seating flat against the induction module? It should fit flush without any gaskets - the gaskets are used to form a seal not fill gaps.

Are you sure you have the correct kit for your bike? You should have HD # 28716-10

I have to think you are not mounting it correctly or you have the wrong kit.

Side note - I would not recommend using any gasket sealer and as for the crack, I would take it to a shop and have it TIG'd.

i think by the sounds you have left the black bracket on the throttle body. when you take the old air cleaner off you have to use a 3/16" allen key and undo the 2 bolts above the throttle body opening the bracket holds some wiring and runs across to the head breathers, its all in the instructions in the kit

Ive got the 28716-10. When i mount the backplate induction module the back plate hits the induction module bracket before it seats on th gaskets. Am I suppose to remove the induction bracket? The space I'm tlking about is like 1/8".

Thanks Darin

i think by the sounds you have left the black bracket on the throttle body. when you take the old air cleaner off you have to use a 3/16" allen key and undo the 2 bolts above the throttle body opening the bracket holds some wiring and runs across to the head breathers, its all in the instructions in the kit
Rancid< I kinda wondered about that. What are your thoughts on the crack?

Last edited by a moderator:
tubguy; can you show us some pics of the problem(s) - might help w/guidance. Agree w/ChopperDoc on the backplate - intakes don't like added air - especially from cracks. Best to see if it can be sealed, or get new backplate.

Ive got the 28716-10. When i mount the backplate induction module the back plate hits the induction module bracket before it seats on th gaskets. Am I suppose to remove the induction bracket? The space I'm tlking about is like 1/8".

Thanks Darin

Rancid< I kinda wondered about that. What are your thoughts on the crack?

yeah the bracket comes off to fit the hi flo, 2 1/4" cap heads above the opening behind the verticle section of the bracket, if i were you id call your dealer and get a price on a replacement backing, i think they are pretty cheap. they are made from fairly low grade cast alloy so i dont think welding will last

Back