free website stats program Schaeffer oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Schaeffer oil

joel

Scheaffer oil was est. in 1835 [as I remember ] wondering if anyone has used the 7000 20w50 oil, I have been looking into using it in my 08 ultra, the hd oil doesn't give any api rating info, must be a hush hush or hd oil is above the need for rating information on any hd oil container, I'm leaving this open as I have been unable to find anything from hd as to what they say are the api requierments, keep in mind the best place to look other than on the hd oil container itself, could be in the owners man. but I hadn't looked in there yet.

My buddy runs Schaffers in his cars, trucks, and motorcycle and swears by it.
I'm gonna switch and try the either the 7000 20w-50 or 9000 5w-50 when I hit 5k miles on new bike. Got some good prices on them both in local area here.

There is info in your owners manual of what API rating should be used. I'm not familiar with the brand you mentioned, but the important things to consider for your bike is Zinc and Phos. content, and temperature breakdown. Your motor runs HOT. There is lots of good info on oils in the self help section.

Truth all major bands of standard engine oil are so close it does not madder.
Truth all major 100% syn engine oils are equal to others in their class no madder what anyone says.
When you reach the top of the class no difference just a madder of what brand you like best.
HD standard oil are as good as any always has been. The reason many of us do not like syn3 is who makes it and price when compared to other great syn on the market.
As long as your using a quailty oil designed for aircooled Vtwins whos name is on the jug does not madder.
Of the people I ride with and we put very high miles on our bikes there are about 5 different brand used None deal with engine failures do to oil problems.

I always enjoy reading your posts Smitty - no flannel or agenda - just good old common sense. Must be the military mind......

Owners manual for Dyna's says use diesel rated oil with C ratings, which bye the way Mobil 1 15-50 meets. I know I will get static about this since it does not say V-Twin on the container. But it is MUCH easier to find than V-Twin in some locations.

Motorcycle oil is "Supposed" to have additional antiwear additives...but quite frankly only way to be sure is have analysis done as to what "secret sauce" has been added (if any) to justify the higher cost with documented evidence. That said, oil selection is still a personal matter of choice, plain and simple. As any results good or bad you may have is statistically lost by the number of users actually using the product successfully or not.

That is why we have the Oil polls...here at HDTimeline. Talk and speculation is trumped by the dollars and use the owner spent. Motorcyclists as a whole PREFER to use motorcycle oils when it comes to that final decision...few have actually done the research and based their decision on recommendations...! Branding is a major influence, as is word of mouth...I'm no oil expert, but I trust what I use over the years, and in the final analysis, if you change oil often and do not stress it over it's life when you ride, you can be comfortable in what decision YOU make...! Smitty901 changes the oil at recommended intervals and he uses his bikes often...no problems, others have used same and have had problems 2 or 3 years down the road, but was it the oil?

Last edited:
Owners manual for Dyna's says use diesel rated oil with C ratings, which bye the way Mobil 1 15-50 meets. I know I will get static about this since it does not say V-Twin on the container. But it is MUCH easier to find than V-Twin in some locations.

I have looked up the specifications of Mobil1 Vtwin 20/50 and Mobil1 15/50 on the Mobile website. The difference in phos. and zinc is .0004% less in 15/50. As I change my oil prematurely at 3-4k miles, have a temp. gauge that has never gone over 300 degrees and can buy 15/50 on sale at Wmart for about $6 a quart, guess which Mobil1 I use? My buddy who has the exact same bike as me (even color) will only use Mobil1 V twin 20/50, but goes 10K between changes.:34: It really is a case of "your ride, you decide".

There is info in your owners manual of what API rating should be used

Believe Motorcycle oils do not hold API certification.

HD manuals state to use a Diesel oil with API rating of such and such if Harley oils are not available..

Back