free website stats program Saddlebag Top Rails | Harley Davidson Forums

Saddlebag Top Rails

I just bought some of the Nostalgic style saddlebag cover rails. They should really look great with my Nostalgic Bag rails I'm having installed on my new Limited. My question is, where can I find a template for measuring where to drill the holes for the Cover rails? Any help is appreciated. It may be worth the cost to have my dealer install these prior to delivery. Once I get it home, I will submit some pictures. I cannot wait to get my Harley.

Just a thought but I would tape up the lids with masking tape and then position them where they should be and draw the outline of the legs on the tape. From there it shouldn't be too hard to figure the rest out.

You need to be careful as the holes due not line up to the exact middle of the leg. If you hold them upside down you will see what I mean. Make sure that you tape off the bag like Glider said but you need to make sure that you pin point the center of the leg as like I stated it is off set. sorry I threw away my template.

I've had success with the offset mount holes like mentioned by sharpscuba by using some of the same size bolts that are used to mount the rack and cut them off leaving enough of the bolt to protrude from the hole (maybe 1/16") when threaded in and file the end flat so it leaves an impression in the masking tape. I would also double the tape where the legs make contact so it leaves a good impression.

Then just make sure to get both rails in the same location on both tops.

Thanks for the good ideas, guys. I know about- but always forget about the tape thing. I spoke to my dealer this afternoon. They are going to install them long with the other goodies I bought for it. As most new owners have said, I cannot wait to get on my Harley and ride!! The spending was getting away from me, so I bought one last thing today for the bike. Now, for the wife to wear, and for the garage.:newsmile090:

Glad you're having the dealer install; however, whenever I've bought something from the dealer that needed holes drilled the template was in the box.

I have the saddlebag rails on my bike and I love them. Just take your time when you put them on and everything should go fine. DO NOT let the dealer install them ! After I got rear ended at a stoplight The HD dealer did the repairs and a saddlebag lid was replaced, the tech doing the repairs installed the rail and he did not get it on right . It is not to bad and most people don't see it but I can see it, I pointed it out to the service manager but they would not do anything about it .

When I installed them on my 92 FLHS I put masking tape over the painted surface before I drilled so I would not mar the paint, My set were Eagle Iron tho HD no longer carries this line

Back