free website stats program Saddlebag support brackets busted! | Harley Davidson Forums

Saddlebag support brackets busted!

colnajoe

While I was putting my exhaust back together after the cam job last week, The mech pointed out to me that both of my tabs on the bottom of the saddlebag support brackets were busted. He noticed a squeak coming from the back of my bike while on the throttle. I looked and sure enough, both cracked from top to bottom. Searching here, I find thatr this is a common problem, with the left breaking more often.

If they break so much, not gunna replace with stock again. Read where they had been welded over and over, and still break. So, on line I find Eastern performance cycles makes a bracket that is 15% thicker than originals for 83 bucks, free shipping. I also find on Fleebay that a guy is making a "fix" kit. Two stainless steel brackets that attatch to the lowest bracket hole, for 28 bucks.....I think I'm going that route unless any of you have had issues with this type of thing. His feedback is great, harley guys are saying awesome product and works perfect....Any ideas?

Looks to me like the $28 item addresses the problem nicely. Beefs it up right where the stresses are and breakage usually occurs.

The more expensive one looks like overkill to me.

When I LOOK

The difference I see IS; the 28$ is JUST the clip ends NOT the whole bracket...

I think buying the more $$ one makes more sense than Just the bolt on "FIX" flange that fits on your Broken bracket..

I may be wrong on what I see here but the WHOLE bracket ($$) is the way I would go.

Take another look, I see Just the Clip fix not the whole bracket on the cheaper one.
I'd Rather get rid of the broken bracket or Weld it back first THEN the cheaper clip might be okay. maybe ASK about the cheaper one like the seller suggest Before you order......:s

signed....BUBBIE

When I LOOK

The difference I see IS; the 28$ is JUST the clip ends NOT the whole bracket...

I think buying the more $$ one makes more sense than Just the bolt on "FIX" flange that fits on your Broken bracket..

I may be wrong on what I see here but the WHOLE bracket ($$) is the way I would go.

Take another look, I see Just the Clip fix not the whole bracket on the cheaper one.
I'd Rather get rid of the broken bracket or Weld it back first THEN the cheaper clip might be okay. maybe ASK about the cheaper one like the seller suggest Before you order......:s

signed....BUBBIE

I'm with Bubbie on this one, I'd go with new brackets.

I still say the less expensive one fixes the problem just fine. The rest of the bracket obviously doesn't get the stresses that the lower part does and appears to be in perfect condition - why replace it?

This is one of those scenarios where some people can't stand to simply "patch" something, even if it fixes the problem 100%. If you are the type that likes to "replace" rather than "repair," then by all means spend the extra $65 and buy the complete bracket.

BTW, no one but you will know which one you chose since it's out of sight.

I have had my left bracket break twice. I would get the cheaper ones to carry in my tool bag, for when I'm on the road and see the bracket has broken. The sooner you nip the extra vibration, the sooner you can head off a cracked headpipe.

If the full replacement brackets are actually 15% thicker, that might do the job permanently. Once I detect tha the bracket is broken, I would replace the bracket. And, the thicker one would get my vote, at least once.

I still like the cheaper fix, in my tool bag, for emergencies (mine or another member of a pack I'm in).

Enjoy,
Rich P

I'm just lookiing at the "FIX" of which I am not opposed to.

I feel 28$ is a Lot for that Little Plate/Angle and using Just One bolt to hold it in place. I don't think it is worth the money. I could bend a piece of steel in a vice and grind and file, drill.

Plus,when you have to include shipping? 10$ making it 38$ and still a "Fix".

The Full Brackets comes with free shipping. So less $ is there then.

I did/and do some yet, welding repair and I would Like the new ones for my bike.. You are right-on Dr. :newsmile105:

I would like to rid the broken part even though No body but me would see it.:D

Spoiled Rotten:D

signed....BUBBIE

Well for someone with a metal working background, this may be a simple thing, but for a cop who knows nothing about working with metal, the "fix" fixes the problem, and I dont have to mess with tools that I dont have, or the time to make it just right....well worth the price to me. I'm gonna give the fix a shot, and if it dont work, I'll try something else. But either way, it's fixed. I will keep you all posted on the ease and look....I'll even post a pic or two. (and I paid 5 bucks shipping)

Back