free website stats program Saddlebag Help | Harley Davidson Forums

Saddlebag Help

ric14221

Account Removed
Hi, I am new here and have a neb question about saddlebags. I have an 01 Fatboy and am thinking about getting some saddlebags. I know there are bolt on, detachable etc...but what about the throw over kind? Obviously the advantages are you can take them with you but what about the disadvantages? Do they go under the seat? Do I need to modify my bike to use. Any advice info would be great. Semper Fi

As Hobbit said, you need the rails.Ive had the throw overs for many years, adding/removing the rails for trips.If you can live with the rails they work just fine, make sure to pick up a nice piece of soft leather to protect the paint.Also found tieing the bags to the rails with leather laces to be a pain.After a couple of uses I went with zip ties.Pack a couple of extra zip ties so you can cut them for removal and reinstall much faster than dealing with the long strings.Adding/removing the rails can be a pain as the bolts required for install are longer and may require lifting the bike to clear the rear tire.Another note of caution if you choose to add and remove the rails for trips only.Even though you may convince yourself they will only be on for a short time dont forget the locktight.Lost a nut on one of mine which I noticed only when the smell of burning rubber caused by the bolt burning into my rear tire.

Thanks for the advice guys. I am leaning towards just getting a sissy bar bag for the interim but travelling with my girlfriend and the amount of trash she needs to bring I will probably have to upgrade soon. It's just that these bolt on saddlebags are so expensive....Rick

Thanks for the advice guys. I am leaning towards just getting a sissy bar bag for the interim but travelling with my girlfriend and the amount of trash she needs to bring I will probably have to upgrade soon. It's just that these bolt on saddlebags are so expensive....Rick

Oh brother! If you're carrying gear for your lady and she's like mine - save on the saddle bags and buy a pick up truck! :D:D

Better still, get her a bike! Something that you could "borrow" once in a while.:D:D

"...buy a pickup truck." :lolrolling THAT IS SO FUNNY!!!
Advice for her...Drive a Harley!! I'm a Harley driving lady myself. 1997 Springer! Much better on your own than looking at the back of someone's helmet.

"...buy a pickup truck." :lolrolling THAT IS SO FUNNY!!!
Advice for her...Drive a Harley!! I'm a Harley driving lady myself. 1997 Springer! Much better on your own than looking at the back of someone's helmet.

I don't mean to be a chauvinist - honest! Hope you're loving your bike. I wish you'd tell her Silverbird :D. I'm hoping she'll start riding next year maybe and then I'll give her my Sporty to see how she likes it and I'll get something bigger :rider:D

Here is a list of some manufacturers you may be interested in...

http://www.hdtimeline.com/chassis_suspension_and_front_end/5895-motorcycle_luggage.html

The quickest path to storage is a trunk/saddle pack or sissybar "backpack" made out of "ballistic nylon" and with lots of pockets and enough storage to pack weekend' worth of clothes and/or full face helmet as "typical". Enjoy your search...:D

Back