free website stats program Saddle bag screws | Harley Davidson Forums

Saddle bag screws

hoggy25

Noticed the other day that my hard saddlebag hardware was very loose. Discovered it was the 5 small screws that hold the lid hinge to the bag. I had lost 4 on the one side and none on the other but decided to redo those too. What I found was all the screws had red locktite on them but it was too far up the threads to do anything. Had a friend go to the dealer to pick up some to replace the lost ones and same thing. Locktite too far up the threads. These screws only screw into a 16ga (1/16") thin piece of stainless. I suggest everyone with hard bags take the time to check these. In fact amost all the screws and the one nut we fairly loose. If you don't have the ability to do so I'd think it would be a warrantee issue.

Actually I had a friend rent a new 2009 Road King with the color matched hard bags, noticed that the hinge pin was sticking out about 1/2 inch on the left side, used a small pin punch and gently tapped it into place. Always a good idea to check your saddlebag hardware as part of your inspection of critical fasteners as part of the monthly, or at minimum part of your LOF change...

Of course you're right. When I had my WG I'd pretty much take tank, fenders and anything else I could get to off and make sure all fasteners were tight. This 09 Ultra is much more to take apart every winter plus I rode it all winter this year. I know one thing. My bag fasteners will not losen again.

I would log a complaint with your Dealer just for the record

When I installed my bags, I put the locktie on the beginning of the thread, so it worked it's way in and I check them every month. Those guys are not coming lose..

Better that that I think I'll call HD direct and let them know they need to put the locktite on the last 3 or 4 threads and not the middle where it doesn't screw into anything. Telling my dealer would be a waste of time. It's a factory QC problem as far as I can tell.

Back