free website stats program S&S super e | Harley Davidson Forums

S&S super e

CROSS

Hello , i just installed a s&s super e carb on the bike this week , the bike is a stock evo 98 Dyna Wide i live in newfoundland which is basically at sea level and usually humid , i ran two different exhausts on the bike the first set was a pair of fishtails 1 and 3/4 unbaffled , the second was a thunderheader she seems to run better on the thunderheader but she is backfiring threw the pipes as im riding until she gets hot , all the adjustments i did were in the manual that came with the carb kit , only thing i think i fooled up was the accelrator pump screw its out about a turn and a half now , this would indicate a rich condition from what i can understand unfortunately there is not very many mechanics out this way its a small community with not very many options around ... I checked into the help section but couldnt really find anything related to my condition , any ideas what jets i should change and maybe a size suggestion ... Thanks in advance Dave :bigsmiley28::bigsmiley28:

By back firing do you mean as in a flame back fire or a popping. The flame is too rich and the popping on deceleration particularly means an air leak. I would go back over the installation. Keep the Thunder Headers as they are great. Did you plug the ECM tube back into the manifold? Since you have internet access then go to S&S and ask their tech line to help. If the accelerator was too rich it would be too rich when the throttle is turned a good bit. Make sure the enrichner is down in the off position. Fossil

Hello , i just installed a s&s super e carb on the bike this week , the bike is a stock evo 98 Dyna Wide i live in newfoundland which is basically at sea level and usually humid , i ran two different exhausts on the bike the first set was a pair of fishtails 1 and 3/4 unbaffled , the second was a thunderheader she seems to run better on the thunderheader but she is backfiring threw the pipes as im riding until she gets hot , all the adjustments i did were in the manual that came with the carb kit , only thing i think i fooled up was the accelrator pump screw its out about a turn and a half now , this would indicate a rich condition from what i can understand unfortunately there is not very many mechanics out this way its a small community with not very many options around ... I checked into the help section but couldnt really find anything related to my condition , any ideas what jets i should change and maybe a size suggestion ... Thanks in advance Dave :bigsmiley28::bigsmiley28:

Dont know if this will help ...see the attached file

Attachments

• S&S SUPER E Carburator.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 31
no flames shootin out just almost like gun fire as im riding along around every 15 or 20 seconds just bluuuuuuuuuuuupop bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupop this happens while im accelerating Thanks for the responses fellas couldnt try her today it was pourin out i reset the carb according to the instructions however What plug in would that be

no flames shootin out just almost like gun fire as im riding along around every 15 or 20 seconds just bluuuuuuuuuuuupop bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupop this happens while im accelerating Thanks for the responses fellas couldnt try her today it was pourin out i reset the carb according to the instructions however What plug in would that be

Are you asking about the rubber plugs in picture 5 an 6 ??

No , the plugs are installed properly i was wondering about the ecm i went back over the set up but she is running way rich plugs are full of soot and she is backfiring just on idle know the jets in her were the ones from the factory should i go up in numbers or down ie stock air bleed is 0.40 Thanks Fellas im tryin and i appreciate your help and advice frustrating to hear bikes zoom by the house

No , the plugs are installed properly i was wondering about the ecm i went back over the set up but she is running way rich plugs are full of soot and she is backfiring just on idle know the jets in her were the ones from the factory should i go up in numbers or down ie stock air bleed is 0.40 Thanks Fellas im tryin and i appreciate your help and advice frustrating to hear bikes zoom by the house

I had the same carb and problem you are having right now.

Idle screw about 1.5 turns out.
The accelerator pump screw about 1 turn. Turning screw inward or in clockwise decreases delivered pump volume.Turning screw outward or counterclockwise increases delivered volume..

In my case the fast idle lever was causing the Enrichment device plunger to stick due to incorrect carb installation by myself.
The float level not correct.
The float needle has to be replaced.
The injector nozzle was plugged. There is a hairline slit in the top that was plugged. I cleaned it up with very thin but stiff paper followed up with carb cleaner. That slit faces into the carb.
Check out the pump cap assembly. Make sure the rubber Diaphragm is not ripped AND BE CAREFULL NOT TO LOOSE THE 2 BALL CHECKS.
The Crankcase breather hose also had a 1 inch split which I failed to notice.

Back