free website stats program S&S big bore | Harley Davidson Forums

S&S big bore

Lesley

There is a good price for 100 inch S&S big bore and cam chest either gear or chain driven. Anyone ever put one in their 88?

Have not installed one but many 100" kits, both HD and S&S are in use and performing well.

Before going that route, consider boring OEM cylinders to fit a set of HD cast flat top pistons; Andrews 48 cams, have heads ported, retain the OEM oil pump and replace OEM tensioners with CYCOs and get the new configuration dyno tuned for close to half the price of the S&S kit that will perform better with the benefit of head work.

Not dissing the S&S kit; just saying that the same performance can be had at a lower cost.JMHO.:)

Thank you, I just don’t know who does head porting, and if the local machine shop can bore the cylinders. The engine I had built in 1999 was 95 inches, JE pistons Edelbrock heads, Quicksilver carb, Sputh cases and barrels, crane cam ( don’t remember the grind) it was in a Santee FXR frame. It was hella quick.

Thank you, I just don’t know who does head porting, and if the local machine shop can bore the cylinders. The engine I had built in 1999 was 95 inches, JE pistons Edelbrock heads, Quicksilver carb, Sputh cases and barrels, crane cam ( don’t remember the grind) it was in a Santee FXR frame. It was hella quick.

It is a lot easier these days to build up one of these Vtwin motors. There are several builders/porters that offer "packages" designed to deliver increasing levels of performance and, of couse, cost. Hillside Cycles, BigBoyz and HD Street Performance come to mind. These shops will bore cylilnders, fit new pistons, gap rings, port heads and incllude cams if the customer requests and send the parts back to the customer. Most of them have cyinders/heads on hand and will do the work after the customer pays a core charge which will be returned to the customer when the vendor receives the customers parts in good condition.

I don't know which part of the country the OP lives in but shipping cost is also part of the package. Also don't know if the customer plans on turning the wrenches or out sourceing the assembly so labor could add additional cost. JMHO but it would be worth a few phone calls to one of these vendors and getting educated before throwing money at the S&S kit. Fuel management, like the Power Vision and a proper dyno tune is a must do so the OP needs for find the closest competent tuner.

Glad to help guide the OP down the path if he is looking for help.:)

Back