free website stats program S&S 106 Hot Setup | Harley Davidson Forums

S&S 106 Hot Setup

BigMike57

I just hit 110K on my 08 Ultra, stock except for SE Compensator and SE Clutch Hub. It's time for a rebuild.
I was looking at the H-D Stage II kit, but I am worried about trouble starting when hot, and it runs hot.
I think that the S&S kit may be a better way to go. It comes with the 585 EZ start cams as well as the adjustable pushrods and new lifters and gaskets. I plan on getting Vance & Hines true duals with monster ovals and Drak air filter. I know nothing about fuel packs or tuners. Could I get a V&H fuel pack to tune this combo? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Which 106" kit are you looking at? The kit with ported heads or sans heads? What are you looking for in the way of performance? Do you ride solo or two up most of the time? Do you have a budget? Will you be doing the work? If not, who?

There is a menu of options for your upgrade that would run from $1500-$1800 up to $2500-$3000 all depending on you goals. If you are set on the S&S kit, have at it but if you want to consider other options before pulling the trigger, I can lay them out for you. As an example, there is a reputable builder/porter in Florida that will sell you a 107" kit with pistons fitted to your bored cylinders, stage I ported heads, a set of aftermarket cams, gaskets in the $1400 range; you just need to put it together and get the motor tuned.

A V&H Fuelpack is not suited for tuning a motor along the lines of the S&S 106" kit or similar configuration. A fuel management system like the TTS Mastertune or the DJ Powervision and a proper dyno tune is what a motor like that needs to optimize performance.

Having said that, another example would be from the same builder. Bore your cylinders to 107" and fit new Wiseco pistons for $495. Put it together with your heads cleaned up and inspected, replace springs, valve job and new guide seals, install a set of TTS 100 cams; all in for less than $1000. I am not a believer in "maps" for tunes but Steve Cole the guy that developed the SERT and the TTS Mastertune systems also developed the TTS 100 and 150 cams as well as maps for those cams. I would consider the V&H FP3 and one of Steves maps.

Anyway, you get the idea. Lots of options, just depends on what you want........;)

The "kit'' I was looking at was without heads, black wrinkle and with the 585 EZ start cams. I will do the work myself. A local machine shop will rebuild the heads for $525 and they offer other services. I plan on this being a winter project, and am just putting together a plan. As fare as what tuner to use I don't have a clue LOL. I was ready to get a SERT but with the V&H exhaust I thought I would go with them. Also, is porting worth doing? I am a 300# guy on a dresser, mostly solo. I commute on my bike, well into winter in New England. I need this to be reliable.

JMHO but I would pass on the S&S kit. Have your cylinders bored to 3.938" for 107"; have the heads ported (you can do that for the same $525 you would pay the local shop to rebuild). Since you are doing the work yourself and if you are interested, you should consider contacting the builder/porter I mentioned in my previous. For about the same as you would pay for the S&S kit, without heads, you would get a big bore kit with ported heads and he likes S&S cams; has built a ton around them. Head porting is definitely worth doing; that's where the bottleneck is.

I would not get the SERT; old technology and not user friendly. The guy that developed the SERT has improved on the original and developed the TTS Mastertune which is much more user friendly, known to most tuners and has a V-Tune feature that allows the user to "self" tune and dial in a pretty decent tune.

Thanks for the advice. Do you have some way for me to contact the builder in FL. I also will look into some local guys for the same work. I don't mind dealing with someone long distance, the advice on this site hasn't steered me wrong yet. Would you mind explaining porting a little? Does that open up the combustion chamber, lowering the compression ratio? Sorry for the "dumb" questions.

Thanks for the advice. Do you have some way for me to contact the builder in FL. I also will look into some local guys for the same work. I don't mind dealing with someone long distance, the advice on this site hasn't steered me wrong yet. Would you mind explaining porting a little? Does that open up the combustion chamber, lowering the compression ratio? Sorry for the "dumb" questions.

Head porting services are usually sold in "stages" which can range from a basic "street" port which retains OEM valve sizes, springs and guides, new guide seals, shaping the intake and exhaust port, bowl blending below the valves, measuring and equalizing chamber volume, valve job and decking head and decking the heads as required to match up with the compression sweet spot of the selected cams. That is why it is important to always select cams first and build around the cams. What I would suggest in your case in addition to what listed above would be larger intake and exhaust valves, bronze guides and a multi angle valve job. However, the porting is part of the build plan and best sorted out between you and the porter.

Give Kirby Apathy a call at VeeTwin Performance and chat him up about your plans. I believe Kirby offers an exchange service wherein he will send you the parts before receiving your cylinders and heads as long as you pay a core charge that will be refunded when he receives your heads and cylinders in good condition; this will minimize down time. There are other shops, like Hillside Cycles in Munnsville, NY or HD Street Performance in Edgewood, WA if you wanted to talk to more than one. All are good guys, competent builder/porters with good reputations and straight shooters. I just think Kirby offers great value.

http://veetwinperformance.com/

Thanks for the info I sent them an e-mail. I looked into the TTS unit and it sounds good. With oversized valves and the porting, will the stock throttle body be okay?

your better off having your cylinders bored to 107", (EDITED No business can be done on the Forum without sponsorship). i also think youde be better off with S&S .583 cams over 585`s,the 583`s make more lower end power,more suited to a touring build.as far as headwork goes,make sure the heads are done for the cams & build your going for.(big port heads for high RPM builds will kill a lower RPM build & visa versa)

Thanks for the info I sent them an e-mail. I looked into the TTS unit and it sounds good. With oversized valves and the porting, will the stock throttle body be okay?

if doing the 583/107"/touring street port build I recommended,you stock T. body will be fine,if going with the 585/1.900 headwork/107" build,ide bore or replace your t.body

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the feedback. I'm starting to get a better picture of what I should get. I'm going to stay with the stock TB and go with the
.583 EZ start cams. (EDITED)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back