free website stats program S&S 106 big bore hot set kit | Harley Davidson Forums

S&S 106 big bore hot set kit

Mongo,
I sent a reply to our conversation regarding compression releases and the 255 cams if those are retained; you will need them and a spot on tune as discussed. 2009 model may have ACRs, can't recall. The link to the S&S kit you sent earlier includes the S&S585 cams which will not need compression releases.

This 106" big bore Hot Set Up Kit® is easy to install. No machining or rebalanceing is required, and the engine does not need to be removed from the chassis. This kit includes S&S 3.927" bore pistons, big bore cylinders finished in wrinkle black powder coat, S&S 585C chain drive Easy Start camshafts, S&S chromoly steel adjustable pushrods, and S&S high performance tappets. The resulting 106" engine has a compression ratio of 10:1, and is stock height, so there are no frame clearance problems, and a stock EFI Throttle body will fit. No fuel or ignition system is included, However, for the best results, a larger throttle body, performance air cleaner, and performance exhaust are recommended. The EFI system must be recalibrated.

Good to go without compression releases; the EZ start cams solve the compression issue. The only reason I brought up the compression issue was because I was confused and thought you were retaining the SE255 cams and only purchasing a piston/cylinder kit from S&S; my bad.:oops:

I hope you intend to at least have the heads "refurbished", i.e.,. chambers de-carboned/cleaned up, multi angle (SERDI) valve job, new guide seals and maybe just a surface cut to guarantee a true and flat deck.

If using the 585 EZ start cams, you should replace the .045" head gasket (if that is what S&S incudes in the kit) with a Cometic .030" for a bit more compression which will help the low end performance.

Also see my answer to your question in our conversation. Let us know how the project turns out; the tune is the key.;)

Well the bike is in the shop to get the big bore kit installed. Yes the heads will be serviced with new seals and the valves will be lapped and the seating will be checked. I'm going with the gasket set that cam with the kit. I don't know if the shop has the capability to resurface the heads but I'll ask.

Well, crap. I need a new crank. Mine didn't pass the testing that they did. Dang!

Sorry to hear the bad news. Are you going to have the crank repaired? Who will do the repair? Hope you are not replacing with an OEM crank.:eek:

I've finally gotten the the S&S 106 Hot Set rebuild with a new fly wheel past the 1000 mile break in period. The Dyno Torque and Hp looks great considering I have stock heads.
Peak Hp is at 102.76 Hp and peak torque is at 107.8.
The heads are stock with minor service, they were cleaned, the valve seals and spring were replaced and valves were lapped.
With head porting and a larger air intake I'm sure that this engine would produce numbers above the 110 pounds of torque.
Even though I had to pony up for a new fly wheel, I'm pleased with the outcome. I essentially have a new engine with some great power for a lot less than a crate engine or a new bike.

Attachments

• IMG_20200728_154001455.jpg
    IMG_20200728_154001455.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 8
Back