free website stats program Rust ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Rust ?

tubguy

Ok, guys and gals went for a ride today and realized I have a little rust in some areas on my bike... Mostly on the holes on my front rotors and a little on the muffler tips and some aother areas also.

What is the fastest and simplist way of removal and the best way to prevent this from happening? I want to ride all year rain or shine and even like today in the Hail ( not recommended) , I'm not the type to want to spend hours on cleaning and minutes on riding,more the opposite.

Any guidance and suggestions helpful would be great,I have read bout Pledge but not sure how to apply it and if it's great for the whole bike and I've also read WD-40 is also great. Pros and cons!!!

What are your thoughts

Tubguy

you will have to put some time into it. where do you store it? do you dry it off after a ride in the rain, shine, hail? you will get out of it what you put into it.

you will have to put some time into it. where do you store it? do you dry it off after a ride in the rain, shine, hail? you will get out of it what you put into it.
Its stored in a dry garage( it has its own garage) but never dry it off, as for the hail they werent golf ball sizes just enough to hurt the face!!

The rust in the drill out holes of the rotors should not be serious to require anything, but I suppose you could try cleaning them all with some pink anti rust naval gel, cotton swabs and plenty of patience.

Don't know what you would put in to keep rust out as WD-40 and many other items have petroleum distillates in it that is flammable and cause harm to brake linings w/ diminished braking. If caught in the rain, a quick rinse and blow dry with compressed air maybe a sight better.

Muffler tips you CAN use WD-40, it evaporates and petroleum distillates burn off quickly, so it will make the tips "look better" but only temporary if they are black or flat black...or you could use BBQ Hi temp "rattle can" paint after judicious cleaning with contact cleaner and surface prep. If chrome...Pledge works fine.

Hit the rusty spots w/Never Dull & use S100 anti-corrosion spray on bike as a preventative...

Its stored in a dry garage( it has its own garage) but never dry it off, as for the hail they werent golf ball sizes just enough to hurt the face!!
I think it is really important not to let the bike sit for any extended period of time while wet. It helps if you have a good base wax on the bike and S100 anti rust in rust prone areas but I find that by thoroughly blow drying it after a washing or a drenching rain really helps. Effective blow drying does take time. At least 1/2 an hour!! I don't care what the manufacturer claims,it takes time. I have the Metro Air Force Blaster. It is a great product but even that blows the water from one side of the bike onto the other so then I have to go around the other side of the bike and chase the displaced water and repeat the process untill it's all dry. Is it a pain in the butt? Yeah, but to me it is necessary in keeping the bike rust free. If there was a foolproof way of keeping it rust free without doing this I'd sure like to know!:p My 2003 Ultra has no rust on it and that is what I do. I know you don't want to put the time into it but believe me, it makes a difference and you'll appreceate the results. Just my 2 cents.

rust never sleeps! the only way to comepletly get rid of rust is to cut it out or grind it away. the best way to not have rust on your bike is not to ride in the winter were some states use salt on the road. since you want to ride in the winter, it is best to wash the bike often and use a good wax on the bike.

Spray on some PB Blaster and rub it in. Wipe it off, spay on some more, and let it set overnight. Repeat for another night. Wipe it off really good and apply some Pledge.

I have done this on my chromed twisted spokes (bought the bike used and abused) with amazing results. You can see the pitting, but it shows as bare metal with zero rust. The best part is that after doing this, the rust has never returned! Give it a shot!

Back