free website stats program Runs rough then speedo/odo stop working | Harley Davidson Forums

Runs rough then speedo/odo stop working

EnjoyingTheRyde

My wife is having an intermittent problems with her 09 1200 Custom. On three different occasions so far, the bike will begin to run rough, she says it feels like it's going to stall when down shifting, then the speedometer and the odometer stop working. After a short time everything comes back to life, any ideas. We had it at the shop last year when it first happened and they could not duplicate the problem and it did not throw any codes. The only thing we've done to her bike is add the HD stop/run/turn module and the first time the problem happened was before that install.

I've looked back in searches and found someone to have a similar issue but wet weather was mentioned. The last time it happened to her, it was a beautiful 55 degrees and sunny.

Thanks in advance...:)

I would check again to see if you have any historical codes first. Almost sounds like your loosing power to the ECM or main buss in general. There are things you can check but since it is under warranty do you really want to.

I would check again to see if you have any historical codes first. Almost sounds like your loosing power to the ECM or main buss in general. There are things you can check but since it is under warranty do you really want to.

Thanks Hoople... that's kind of what I've been thinking... maybe I'll have a little ammo (I mean knowledge) for the shop this time around...:)

Has it ever happened at night when you were able to see the dash lights going dim or possibly blinking. If the failure occurred, and all the lights remained intact, it would eliminate several components from the mix.

Has it ever happened at night when you were able to see the dash lights going dim or possibly blinking. If the failure occurred, and all the lights remained intact, it would eliminate several components from the mix.

Have not had it happen at night but I've never noticed her headlight out... she is usually riding ditch side and behind me and I keep a pretty close eye in my mirror... She did tell me that her digital odometer is legible as in power to it but it doesn't record mileage...

It could be the vehicle speed sensor going out. That will ,make it run funny and possibly stall too, It's neede3d to send the info to the ECM so in turn it can send out the proper signals.. Needs cleaning/replacement is the sure fix if it is this.

Speed Sensor Pickup Problem Symptoms - Harley Davidson Community

As always... Thank you :cheers According to the link, the directionals won't cancel when this happens, makes sense. I'll have to ask her about them when she gets home from work... she didn't mention them but maybe I can jog her memory...

Update...Since it's under warranty I brought it to the shop... they said water in the speed sensor connection. We'll have to wait and see.

Having the exact same problem with my RG
Vehicle Speed sensor sound like the culprit.
Gonna check it out
THanks HDTimeline

Back