free website stats program Running without the Exhaust | Harley Davidson Forums

Running without the Exhaust

drmrgrl

Hi, my name is Giva and i have a question concerning sportster exhaust. My buddy is having a problem with his pipes and wants to take them off, ride without exhaust. Hes having to get to work and back and this is his only transpo. I am wondering what the damage will be if he rides without the exhaust. Is there a small window where it wouldnt damage the engine? thank you.

I don't know about damage, but I do believe performance would take a nosedive. Some back pressure is required for the engine to function properly. That being said, maybe your state does not have exhaust laws. If it don't, stand by because it's people like your friend running crazy loud bikes making the non-riding public mad as hornets.:small3d023: There are many times more of them than us.

I love HD's but when some fool blows by the house making enough noise to wake the dead, it makes me want to throw a brick at em! Keep the pipes or switch to ones that give it that nice deep rumble. Don't mess it up for the rest of us.:58:

Yes, cold air entering the exhaust would be a BAD thing, not to mention the noise and possible fire out the exhaust ports, It will mot run right Do Not Do IT

I would suspect that the exhaust gasses out the rear cylinder may cause damage to the oil tank and battery and perhaps a wee bit of pain to the rider as they are very hot when they come out past the valve

Brian

What they all said above. However, I would like to witness the event.

I fired mine up last summer with the pipes off (trying to find where oil is leaking from). It was on a stand in my garage and only for 10-15 seconds but it still spit out 12" flames out of the exhaust ports. That was enough for me. Would never even thing about riding around with flames coming out on my knees.
WAP.gif

I fired mine up last summer with the pipes off (trying to find where oil is leaking from). It was on a stand in my garage and only for 10-15 seconds but it still spit out 12" flames out of the exhaust ports. That was enough for me. Would never even thing about riding around with flames coming out on my knees.
WAP.gif

Wow..That would be great for the cold wether..:s

Back