free website stats program running lean ?????? | Harley Davidson Forums

running lean ??????

harleydogg

04 Softail Standard , no modifications ,stock intake and exhaust . Changed the plugs the other day and tips had a defined whiteness to them .What would make this happen? Bike has 38,000 miles on it . I've had it since new.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Yall ride safe.

How often are plug being changed? Hows bike running? This may not be a problem.

I guess that info might be helpful . Yes FI with no 02 sensor .I change them about every other oil change, it's cheep insurance , the way i look at it.

If the bike has no steady cruise surging or any other issues, it is probably due to the 10% ethanol fuel. Just can't get a good read on plugs anymore. It would be assuring to know that your fuel pump pressure was 60 psi, but it requires a special tool. That would be the only question I had.

If the bike is running well you probably have no problem. Like Hoople said reading plugs on the newer bike with FI and the type of gas we run is not a reliable way to tell the tune of the bike. You could add a Dobeck fueler and have an improved A/F ratio but since the bike is bone stock it is not a necessity.

On the newer bikes, you'll rarely see any color on the plugs that isn't caused by the fuel additives. Plug reading isn't what it use to be. You can tell heat range by the coloration on the ground strap but not much more than that after the lead has been removed from fuel.

Thanks ,that makes me feel better. We cant get gas around here without the 10% in it anymore. Bike runs great , no pops on deceleration , and idles smooth . Also no surging at speed. Again thanks . Ya'll ride safe.

Thanks ,that makes me feel better. We cant get gas around here without the 10% in it anymore. Bike runs great , no pops on deceleration , and idles smooth . Also no surging at speed. Again thanks . Ya'll ride safe.

If you are changing the plugs that often I hope you are using Anti Sieze on the threads:s

Back