free website stats program Running bad/sputters | Harley Davidson Forums

Running bad/sputters

Moeman

I have an 06 Electra Glide Classic. It has been having a sputtering problem for a long while. At first the problem wasn't to bad and happened on rare occasions. Last March I broke my leg and the bike sat for a year. Just started to ride again bit over a month ago. Took the bike in for a spring tune up/oil change when I was able to start riding again. Over the past couple weeks the sputtering has gotten really bad and I have taken it in to the shop to have them look at it. They took it out for a test ride (2d time for this problem, first was before my accident with the leg) and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with the bike, and no problem was noticable. The check engine light had come on before I took it in for the tune up, and again when I took it for the problem. 57. P0261 Front Injector Open/Low 58. P0263 Rear Injector Open/Low are the codes that it came up with in order of visits. I just went out and pulled the PO263 code off of it again today when it came on earlier while I had it idling in the garage as I was trying to find sparks to see if it might be an electrical problem. I have looked all over and don't see any. Anyone have a clue as to what this might be? As I was riding to work this morning, my speed dropped 5mph just from a sputter, freaked me out, thought the bike was going to die on me!

It's on recall. I would let the dealer check to see if it's got the right number.

Your bike probably has the 8 degree injectors. My wife's 06 ultra did. The recall is over so they won't change them for free anymore. I bought new ones and changed them myself.

Considering that this is a pre-owned bike and that recall bulletin is 7yrs old, I doubt that they will do it for free, lol! Took it in the other day but they are so busy here I had to schedule an appt for Tues. Rode the bike into the shop and sure enough the thing rode good on the way there. Left there to head home and thing started to sputter again, so went around the block and back to the shop. Guy came out to take a look, and the bike did nothing wrong for him. Went back out, started the bike and as soon as I did, the check engine light came on with the PO236 code again and it started to idle rough. With the trouble this is causing me right now, I am thinking about seriously trading this bike in for a big wheel..... :newsmile042:

Last edited by a moderator:
yea, that code, for the rear injector. Bike is at the shop again now, but won't get looked at till tomorrow. Sigh.

Guessing the 4th or is it the 5th time is the charm. They finally figured out what is wrong. Apparently it is a pin in one of the rear injectors causing all the trouble. Apparently when the bike gets hot, it causes the wiring to go screwy. Part is on order, should be in tomorrow and fixed by the end of the day hopefully! TY all for all the help here. :)

Back