free website stats program Rumble magic | Harley Davidson Forums

Rumble magic

dogdad

I was riding my RK today and enjoying the rumble sounds of the exhaust ,,,,,and all of a sudden it brought back the memories of when i was really young(5-6 yrs old) riding my purple Schwinn stingray bike with the banana seat,,placing playing cards with clothes pins on the front and rear forks to create the loud sound of rumble as the spokes flipped the cards.....brought a smile to my face along with a chuckle.....

Bicycles was a passion back when I was a kid, parents would not let me have one in the beginning, (big mistake there...). Learned how to ride a bike with friends who were enthusiasts starting with the Schwinn Stingray, going to local police auctions and pick up old beaters and box loads of parts to rebuild and resell them. A kid has got to live after all! :D

Migrated to lightweight 10 speed road and touring bikes, when a retired racer from France opened up a bike shop, who introduced the first 25 lb Mercier in the 60's, and later the 21 lb Bianchi to a town that had known only the steel 45 lb welded frame Schwinn Continental 10 speed.:newsmile082:

oh man, red 3 speed stingray, white and silver banana seat, tail sissy bar, hand brake, ape bars and my friend gave me forks sawed off another bike, extended it to true chopper style. :D

Oh Man ! so many cool memories. I can remember doing that, and also the light generators that rubbed the wheel to energize the light, and i can even remember the sirens we would pull a chain that was connected to the handlebars pulling the siren against the tire. Wow how cool was that. we even used balloons to get some cool sounds.

Anything that brings a smile like that has gotta be good. Last summer I was riding at night , the moon was full the temps were warm and it took me right back to when I was 16 years old riding a Honda 150cc on a night like that. At 62 memories and feelings like that really are priceless.

I had a schwinn Orange Krate. Stingray with a springer frontend and a 5 speed suicide shifter. It must have been about 1971.
T

With the cards in the spokes, it sounded like the Harley down the street. Every kid I knew had them.

I had a colombia...Brand new, Red and White..It had 'built in' bullet headlights that used D batteries..Oh man, Unfortunately, I had ridden it only a few times when I went down our hill and didn't stop at the corner..just wailed around the corner without stopping. Dad saw me do it..warned me to never do that again...A few days later, I did. Dad took the bike away for the rest of the summer....That was one LONG summer! When he 'called it'...it was called.
The point was well taken.
He was my best friend in life. We rode motorcycles together for years.Even though I lost him in 07, I still find myself looking in my mirrors to see if he's behind me on occasion.

Back