free website stats program Round Key Fork Locks | Harley Davidson Forums

Round Key Fork Locks

Hoople

Account Removed
Is it me and am I the only one who can't stand the Round key locks HD uses on the forks of the 2009 FXDL. I would so much rather have a standard Medeco style key way. Since round key locks by design are spring loaded, the key is always popping to the floor when in off, and what a struggle to lock the fork. Would anyone know of an aftermarket company that makes a standard key way cylinder that would fit these applications.

The lock is new, and it does it with both keys.

Tks!

my 96 glide does it too,but then I dont think youre supposed to leave the key in...lol....no offence,couldnt resist.

Well you could accidently leave it in once...probably never forget again if not for the "self removing" feature...:newsmile040:

With you on hating the key. I thought that it was just a bad key cylinder on my bike. I sprayed some PB Blaster (like WD40) into the cylinder and it is a little better when locking the fork. Key also falls out better :)

I don't really mind the set up on mine, but I did notice that it got harder to lock the wheels and unlock them. I noticed the hole the bolt goes into looked a little ragged too. I took a small hammer and with the bolt extended gave a couple taps and figured it that didn't do any good then I just would not turn the key to lock position and risk it. To my surprise, that did the trick. Mine locks and unlocks just easy as it is to turn the ignition on. My experience with it anyway.

I don't really mind the set up on mine, but I did notice that it got harder to lock the wheels and unlock them. I noticed the hole the bolt goes into looked a little ragged too. I took a small hammer and with the bolt extended gave a couple taps and figured it that didn't do any good then I just would not turn the key to lock position and risk it. To my surprise, that did the trick. Mine locks and unlocks just easy as it is to turn the ignition on. My experience with it anyway.

Ricky,
Maybe my 2009 is different but I don't understand what you mean by "bolt".
I would like to try your trick to see if would help.

There may be something wrong with my lock cylinder because it really can be a pain to lock my fork. Even just going from OFF to Ignition, the key will not always turn smooth like a lock should. You can feel that the shear point for the tumbles are not lined up.

Tks

On my 08 FXDB, I find that how far in the key is pushed makes a big difference. If you push it all the way in against the spring, nothing will turn, you have to find the sweet spot. If you do, it works great, but it is aggravating sometimes.

Ricky,
Maybe my 2009 is different but I don't understand what you mean by "bolt".
I would like to try your trick to see if would help.

There may be something wrong with my lock cylinder because it really can be a pain to lock my fork. Even just going from OFF to Ignition, the key will not always turn smooth like a lock should. You can feel that the shear point for the tumbles are not lined up.

Tks

I should have said that the rod that drops down when you put the side mounted ignition key into the fork lock position. We were talking about locks and I said bolt. Bolt as in door lock bolt. Sorry.
Anyway Hoople, on my '06 the bolt drops down and fits into a machined hole in the fork stem plate. I moved my handle bars so that I could look at the rod
that locks the forks and extended it as in the position to lock if the bars were turning the wheel to far left. I tapped with a small hammer and then tried the fork lock and it fit fine into the hole and is easy to lock and unlock.
In reality what I did was tap a tad and I moved the whole lock cylinder a tad and that cured the problem.:)

Back