free website stats program Rough Start | Harley Davidson Forums

Rough Start

Jfogle01

Hello all, I'm hoping some of you can help me out with this! Up until yesterday(30July2022) my bike, a 2001 E-Glide Ultra Classic (FLHTCUI) has been running great. But starting yesterday, when I go to start it...cold-starts only mind you...it only wants to run on 1 cylinder and smokes(white) a lot. I have to hold the throttle open a bit for it to stay running at all, and only for about 10 seconds, and then the other cylinder kicks in and it goes back to running great again. Any ideas out there as to what might cause this to happen? And again, it only happens on cold starts. If I stop somewhere and shut it off, it starts back up just fine. Also, I did notice that the CEL came on during this, but it went back off after the motor smoothed out and ran fine again. I'm open to any and all help offered!!! Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!!!

White or blue white smoke is oil. Cold start only sounds like you may have a bad valve seal. Oil seeps down the valve stem while sitting, then has to be burned off when started. Just my guess.

I agree
Smoke at start up most likely valve stem seals.
Smoke under load most likely oil rings.
Look at the negative electrodes on the plugs, if there is a dark somewhat shiney to carbon build up suspect oil getting past the stem seal.
If the build up is is deep into the plug around the porcelain of the positive electrodes than most likely the oil rings.

Agree with both, more info would help. How many miles, have you noticed more oil consumption?

Did You Change oil recently? Mine likes 3.5 Quart and no more or it will smoke (white) once in a while at startup. 05 Electra glide. Oil needs to be in the middle of the dipstick, on jiffy stand for mine, Check oil when cold. It hasn't smoked now for 5 years.

Back