free website stats program Rough running | Harley Davidson Forums

Rough running

Hello everyone. 2007 fatboy. I'm having an issue with performance. When running I remove the rear plug wire and has no effect on the engine. I checked the wire resistance and on the 20k setting I'm getting 4.xx ohms, I'm assuming that is 4.k ohms which would be in range. I plan on changing plugs and wires but I am trying to isolate the exact issue. Compression on the rear cylinder with a rudimentary setup yielded 120psi and would be higher if completely sealed. I removed both plugs, connected to coil and could not see a spark of there was one. Used a screw driver, grounded and saw spark and it was a orangish color. Of I remember the spark should be blue or white? Got a shock the other day and I'm no spark tester but it didn't seem as strong as I thought it would be. I'm working on a limited budget at the moment (i know) so I will get an electrical manual when I can. I'm thinking it's the coil, plugs, and/or plug wires possibly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take a look here.

If you want to "bench" test a coil, remove wires, attach a hot 12 volt to the battery (batt, +, etc.) terminal. Then attach a wire to the ignition (ign) terminal and touch ground and remove. Should throw a spark from the high tension lead with each application of 12v and removal. The ground wire basically imitates the function of the ignition points/module. If the high tension lead terminal is gapped a reasonable amount from the engine, there should be a bright white spark. Weak or orange spark indicates (low voltage...or) bad coil output.

Should work with that coil, don't know for sure. Have you checked for codes? That would be a good place to start.
tourbox

Should work with that coil, don't know for sure. Have you checked for codes? That would be a good place to start.
tourbox

I have checked for codes and haven't had any codes show up. I can't seem to find any information in the 2007 softail manual as far as a test for the ignition coil, or any other sensors for that matter.

I
Can you swap plug wires than coils to see if the misfire follows the part?

I tried and it misfired severely. I ohmed the primary side of the coil and got 0.6 and 0.6 which seems to be where it should. It is single fire from what I can tell and cannot be swapped for testing like a dual fire ignition coil from what i have read. I cleaned injectors with carb cleaner (had some debris in them) and swapped them around. Bike SEEMED to run good for about 15 minutes. The Speedo gauge fell to 0 briefly and then returned to the correct mph. Turned off ignition and back on a unwillingly fired up. Three minutes later she died and would not start. I'm thinking I'm having a charging issue. I will check stator output today and report back.

Just tested the stator with battery fully charged at 13v. Passed continuity and ohms were at .5 across the board. The stator seems to be ok. Switched to diode scale and the reading I'm getting are 399 404 and 408, is that .5 volts per jp recommendation? Seems like that would be .4 volts?

Letting her run and the battery voltage is sitting at 14.2 what gives? I've about had it with the gremlins lol

Last edited:
I'd be checking your grounds too. That erratic mph reading makes me think an electrical connection is loose somewhere. Loose connection or a broken wire inside in tact insulation.

Back