free website stats program Rough Running Each Time Started, Smooths Out Later | Harley Davidson Forums

Rough Running Each Time Started, Smooths Out Later

RibEye

'03 RKC, injected, hooker tuned flow slipons, stock air intake and map.

Has taken to running rough each time it is started, warm or cool. Idles OK, but coughs when throttle starts to get opened, beginnning to roll. Runs rough, stutters, coughs, going down the road, then after a several blocks smooths out and stays smooth till next time she is started.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks,
Rich P

Sounds lean either from an intake leak or possibly in need of some more fuel . A TFI will improve running even with the stock air box.

Diagnostics and Fuel Injection Related - Harley Davidson Community
I agree, but she has only just begun to get like this. She has been running fine, albeit a bit on the warm side. It recently started with a cough at starting out, and has progressed to coughing and stuttering at lower rpm. Is there a sensor that could be going out?

Thanks,
Rich P

Ihave to retract one symptom. It apparently does not smooth out after a few blocks. The problem is intermittent...hesitation, coughing, sputtering, etc. like it is intermittently not getting spark or fuel. I can't tell which.

Thanks,
Rich P

Fill with gas to see if it runs good, then runs poor as the fuel goes down, could be a hole in the gas line inside the the gas tank.

Not easy to check without special adapter but knowing what your fuel pump pressure is pretty close to 1st on the list for me.

Add a symptom. Now she intermittently does not want to keep a good idle rpm. She wants too idle too slowly and dies. Also intermittent.

On the off chance I was fouling the plugs, I replaced them. The old ones read nice and clean with about 6k miles on them...I know, but I took a shot.

Thanks,
Rich P

I tried that 1st. She does the same thing with a full tank.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Have you Checked the intake manifold for a leak?... I did have one that would NOT be there once it Warmed up....

Also a problem with the GAS?

Change stations and brand on Next fill, just to see.

Keep us informed on your progress and what checks you Have done.

signed....BUBBIE

Back