free website stats program Rough Ride | Harley Davidson Forums

Rough Ride

lowrider1963

Just installed Progressive 412 shocks to lower ride 1". I like the overall ride, but they are a little stiff when I hit potholes or large bumps. I was going to lower the tire pressure to soften the ride a bit. Has anyone done this, if so, how much did you lower the PSI?

thanks

Just installed Progressive 412 shocks to lower ride 1". I like the overall ride, but they are a little stiff when I hit potholes or large bumps. I was going to lower the tire pressure to soften the ride a bit. Has anyone done this, if so, how much did you lower the PSI?

thanks

If you lower your PSI keep an eye on the tire wear, you may notice the inside and outside wearing. I would try 2 lb increments lower to test the ride

Have you tried to adjust preload. There is supposed to be 5 different adjustments.

One of the trade offs when lowering for looks is a worse ride and sometimes worse handling.

Bodeen

dbmg I have the shocks on the lowest preload setting, 1.

Unfortunately when you choose to run shorter than stock shocks, the spring rate is stiffer than the longer shocks so they don't bottom out as much. This will effect the ride comfort and there's not much you can do about it.

Play with the diffrent settings pre and adjustable, it will take a little bit to find the perfect combo for you but once you do you will really enjoy the ride. The 412 shocks are great shocks once tuned in. Did you lower the front of the bike as well? Just curiouse as like others said it will make the bike feel different.
Good Luck, and just play with the settings it will get there.

Good luck with it, if you play around with you may get it some better.

Unfortunately with hard bumps the physics of the game are like Bodeen and Glider said. If you want the low ride it goes with the territory on rough roads.

I know some guys that put RK air shocks on their Dynas and say it rides fantastic (even two up). But admittedly it does raise the rear of the Dyna about an inch. Some of them are considering putting the WG front tubes and springs in to raise the front enough to equal it out.

Back