free website stats program Rough idle when engine warm | Harley Davidson Forums

Rough idle when engine warm

Rhowle

Just bought 2008 Heritage Softail w/1800 mi. It had V&H Big Shot Staggered on it, and what I can gather from the Stage 1 posts in this forum, I believe it has had the Stage1 stuff added. At least I can match the air filter and backing plate part numbers on the bike to those posted here. The problem I have is after the engine has warmed up and I come to a stop light, the idle goes from real smooth to getting kind of rough then to just a pop/pop/pop like it's only firing on one cylinder. When I goose it, it gets smooth again and then goes back to the popping. My gut tells me that it's to rich but before I go changing fuel MAPS I thought I would get some different opinions. BTW - this is a great sight ..... I have learned lots already. This is my first Harley. Way different from my Triumph.

Just bought 2008 Heritage Softail w/1800 mi. It had V&H Big Shot Staggered on it, and what I can gather from the Stage 1 posts in this forum, I believe it has had the Stage1 stuff added. At least I can match the air filter and backing plate part numbers on the bike to those posted here. The problem I have is after the engine has warmed up and I come to a stop light, the idle goes from real smooth to getting kind of rough then to just a pop/pop/pop like it's only firing on one cylinder. When I goose it, it gets smooth again and then goes back to the popping. My gut tells me that it's to rich but before I go changing fuel MAPS I thought I would get some different opinions. BTW - this is a great sight ..... I have learned lots already. This is my first Harley. Way different from my Triumph.

Hmm. Is this when it is hot (up to operating temp)? Doesn't that bike have the rear cylinder cut off (EITMS) to reduce heat during idle when hot? Do you have the Owner's Manual. See if that says.

ETIMS Activation 08 Bikes - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Thanks for this . I had never heard of EITMS, but the information in the link you sent, sounds exactly what I have experienced. In fact, I went for a ride this morning in downtown traffic and it did not happen at all. The outside temp this morning was about 40-45 deg. and dry. Bike ran great. When I did experience the popping, it was aroung 90 deg. outside and I was stuck in traffic/light for some time. I did not get an Owner's Manual but probably need to ask the dealer for one.

Thanks for this . I had never heard of EITMS, but the information in the link you sent, sounds exactly what I have experienced. In fact, I went for a ride this morning in downtown traffic and it did not happen at all. The outside temp this morning was about 40-45 deg. and dry. Bike ran great. When I did experience the popping, it was aroung 90 deg. outside and I was stuck in traffic/light for some time. I did not get an Owner's Manual but probably need to ask the dealer for one.

I believe you can have the dealer turn that off. I think on the newer bikes, this can be done by the rider, but prior to this year it has to be done by HD.

TQ

Back