free website stats program Rockerbox gaskets | Harley Davidson Forums

Rockerbox gaskets

Hello everyone, almost time to start chasing that front wheel! hopefully I can ride this year, just had 3 rods and 8 screws put in my lumbar on 3-2-11, they match the plate and 10 screws I have in my neck that was put there in 05, I think I feel well enough to start wrenchin on my 02 RK, quick question, how much of a hassle is it to replace rear rockerbox gasket, noticed last season it was leaking a little, have to take bike in for inspection soon and wondering if I should have my guy do it or if i can handle it myself. dont have a torque wrench so that is why Im having reservations of doing myself. thanks for any input and SAFE RIDING to all...........:cheers

Well, in addition to the appropriate Service Manual, I'd say a good torque wrench is the next "must have" item on most folks list. Next time Jack alerts us to a Sears Friends and Family night, run out and get yourself one or two!

I have the service manual, just looking for the experienced riders and the quick tips they and this forum always provide, as for the wrench, I guess it is on the shopping list.......

Not too bad. But you may want to remove the gas tank to make access easier. Additionally, you my have to cut down some tools to make access easier also. Not a biggy, and you can buy the low profile tools instead if you prefer.

How many miles do you have on the engine? Is it worth considering a top end job? That would be all the way down to removing the jugs, having them honed and hatched, rings, valve jobs. If you have more than 50K miles on it, you might want to consider it.

TQ

Well, in addition to the appropriate Service Manual, I'd say a good torque wrench is the next "must have" item on most folks list. Next time Jack alerts us to a Sears Friends and Family night, run out and get yourself one or two!

No friends and Family night this month @ Sears, Watch your Sunday Paper for Deals, You may need to lower the motor some to get the rocker boxes off. Not a complicated job if you have the manual and you have the back up of this great site:s

I have the service manual, just looking for the experienced riders and the quick tips they and this forum always provide, as for the wrench, I guess it is on the shopping list.......

Check out the store in the menu jump section. There are some real good prices on torque wrenches.

only have 15000 miles, last season I started bike and was ready to take off out of barn when i heard my youngest starting to scream like no tomorrow, ran over without shutting bike down, he ended up falling off pool deck and breaking his arm, by the time i got back to bike it had ran for 10-15 minutes without air circulation, i hope i didnt warp anything, figure i would start with gasket, cant remember if leak was before boys accident or after.

only have 15000 miles, last season I started bike and was ready to take off out of barn when i heard my youngest starting to scream like no tomorrow, ran over without shutting bike down, he ended up falling off pool deck and breaking his arm, by the time i got back to bike it had ran for 10-15 minutes without air circulation, i hope i didnt warp anything, figure i would start with gasket, cant remember if leak was before boys accident or after.

Hope your son is OK now.

Nah. 15 minutes at idle did not hurt it. The leak was probably there but you hadn't examined it hard enough to notice. And if it is just getting wet, and you can keep it tidied up with cleaning, you might want to put off opening up the engine until there is a more significant reason. Sometimes you can create a more significant problem trying to fix an insignificant one.

TQ

Last edited:
Thanks TQ, its not a major leak and yes i tidy it up when i can. the only time i notice it is when Im at a red light, thats when i smell the oil, other than that you can hardly notice it.

Thanks TQ, its not a major leak and yes i tidy it up when i can. the only time i notice it is when Im at a red light, thats when i smell the oil, other than that you can hardly notice it.

That may not be from your leak. When the oil is hot and you are standing still with little breeze, you will smell the crankcase venting a little bit. However, if it is leaking enough to run down and get on the exhaust, you will smell it and probably see some white smoke. If that is not happening, and you are only getting concerned because of the smell and a little bit of weeping from the gasket, I would just keep it clean and wait until there is more justification to disassemble something that is not really broken!!

TQ

Back