free website stats program Rocker cover removal | Harley Davidson Forums

Rocker cover removal

I have the manual. Can I remove the covers from my TC96 without removing anything else. Are they just covers? It it easy to torque them back down with just the gas tank removed after powdercoating? I take it I will need new gaskets?

I have the manual. Can I remove the covers from my TC96 without removing anything else. Are they just covers? It it easy to torque them back down with just the gas tank removed after powdercoating? I take it I will need new gaskets?

If u have the manual u should be good to go if u follow it to the T, use a good gasket like Cosmetic or James:s

The rocker box covers are in 2 piceses. You can remove just the top part without removing anything else. But if you remove the bottom part also then you will have to remove your rocker arms.

Is removing the rocker arms hard if I want to get both parts coated?

The powder coat is good but melts at 180 degrees - will the rocker covers stay cool enough?

Is removing the rocker arms hard if I want to get both parts coated?

The powder coat is good but melts at 180 degrees - will the rocker covers stay cool enough?
I believe It not only the rocker arms but the breather assambly as well that has to be removed to get the bottom rocker box off. it also helps to at least get the tank lifted up out of the way and I think u need to be at TDC when puting it all back together but with this site a good manual(followed step by step) and patience it shouldnt be to hard just dont get in a hurry. Oh and a good torque wrench

1. Removing the bottom part of the rocker plate seems like too much trouble.

2. Do we think the heat would be too much for the rocker covers?

Yes the breathers need to come out also and each cylinder needs to be at TDC to relieve the pressure off the valve springs. Its not alot of work but your manual will make it alot easier. We are here to help if you run into a problem. I see rocker boxes different colors so they must be powder coated because I don't think paint will handle the heat.

I plan on powder coating both top and bottom rocker boxes and my push rod covors and have been TOLD they can handle the heat just fine the only thing I have been told to not waste my $$ on powder coating is exaust pipes and heat shields they get to hot and wont last long.

Back