free website stats program Roadking Fever | Harley Davidson Forums

Roadking Fever

Randall K. Wilson

I’ve got Roadking Fever….Again!

Back in 1995 I was working at GM at the Lordstown Assembly plant in Lordstown Ohio, on a temporary job assignment. At the time I had two new Roadkings ordered and was waiting for the many months to pass till one of my new Kings came in. However I was working with a gent named at Lordstown named Jerry, who was a very active member of the Warren Ohio HOG chapter and a long time Harley rider. Jerry was also the owner of a 1994 Roadking.

Jerry rode to Sturgis to the big cycle rally ever year. He told me how he came about acquiring his Roadking. At Sturgis he was having a private conversation with Willie G. Davidson. Willie advised Jerry that the motor company was getting ready to come out with a brand new model called a “Roadking”. He added further that it was to take the place of the Electra Glide Sport. The motor company’s goal was to have a nice throw back to about a 1965 Electraglide. A more nostalgic touring frame cycle that one could personalize to to his or her personal discretion. Willie shared with him some of the details of this newly designed model.

Jerry returned back to Ohio, went to his local dealer and told them he wanted to order a Roadking. The owner of the dealership was quite puzzled with this request and added he didn’t have a clue what he was talking about. He further added that he had never heard of a Roadking, hence how in the world could he order one? Jerry insisted that indeed he wanted to order a new Roadking regardless. The owner ask him, “How do you know about a new model coming out called a Roadking?” Jerry told him, that while at Sturgis an H-D Company official named Willie G. Davidson told him all about it, hence he wanted to be the first one in town to get a new Roadking.

The H-D Shop owner advised him that he would check into it and consider your order for a new Roadking PLACED! Jerry did have the honor of climbing onto the first Roadking to come into the local Harley dealer where he resided.

It is hard to believe that the the Roadking has been out fifteen years now. I have had three of them. It is everything I like and don’t like in a motorcycle. The touring frame ride and handling….yet you can chrome it out, pluck off the windshield and it really speaks of nostalgia, which is what I love about these machines. Or you can put on a detachable King Tour Pac and tour with the best of them.

Of the three Roadkings I have had I have not been overly excited about the paint and color schemes, but have been able to live with them. Presently I have a 2003 Black Anniversary FLHRI. I have 31K miles on it now. I have been in the attack position waiting for what I call a real deal nostalgic factory paint scheme to come out on the Roadking. Low and behold for 2009 Roadking Classic in Deep Turquoise and Antique White two tone paint color really spins my beanie. :naughty I have not seen it yet on a Roadking, but have on a Heritage Softail Classic and in the company brochure. Needless to say I’m getting the fever to keep my 2003 Roadking and buy a 2nd bike that being a Roadking Classic. Sorry I really am not a big fan of the factory leather bags on a Roadking Classic. They seem to contemporary to me. I have a set of the Iron T bags made in Wi. They look very nostalgic with the conchos and high roller stud package. I’m hoping to put them on the new 09 Roadking when I get it.

As you are reading this my 1994 Red Corvette Convertible is sitting in my front yard FOR SALE….:newsmile038:

The sale of this Vette is what stands between me and the new 09 Roadking I desire. (Another long story, I’m a retried pensioner.)

I will admit I was stressed out about what kind of a second Harley to get. My mind is now clear...and it will be the Roadking Classic in Deep Turquoise and Antique White. Since making my decision I can sleep much more soundly.:)

Cool story!

Road King was a real close second choice when I got my Street Glide. Maybe someday I'll find myself able to put two Harley's in the garage!

Re: Roadking Fever !

RKW;

I was thinking about your comments about the stock FLHRC saddlebags. I thought they looked a little contemporary too. I checked out the Iron Bags website and now have a question.

Do you know if the Iron Bags mount with the stock hardware?

I talked to the H D salesman at the dealership that I do business with. He advised me to bring to the dealership one of my Iron T Bags. We are going to take off a box/bag off an an 09 touring model and see how my Iron T Bag goes on. I'm nearly certain it will work ...however if I don't I will make it work.:mgun I have a full set of leather crafting tools and am determined to adapt my Iron T Bags to a new 09 RKC.

After I make this trip to the dealer I Will post the result.....so stay tuned.

Re: Roadking Fever !

I thought I'd see if this works...a glimps of my Iron T Bags on my Roadking. Look at images of "Show Picture of your Bagger" I have placed several...

100thRearSide.jpg

I certainly have the RK fever.

Bought an 09 and am waiting for a mid-Oct delivery.

Still driving my White 94 Vette. Keep your vette and save a little more money. The C4s will take off in price. They're the most classy Vette made since the C2s

Larry

Last edited:
I certainly have the RK fever.

Bought an 09 and am waiting for a mid-Oct delivery.

Still driving my White 94 Vette. Keep your vette and save a little more money. The C4s will take off in price. They're the most classy Vette mede since the C2s

Larry

Just curious...what color RK are you getting? Are you getting the basic Roadking or the Roadking Classic? I love anything Roadking! Yes the C4's still sping my beanie. I like the "Balanced look that they have over the models since 1997.

Mid-October will be her pretty soon then you will be ready to pick up your new scoot...I'm jealous!!!!!!:naughty

Back