free website stats program Roadking engine shutdown. | Harley Davidson Forums

Roadking engine shutdown.

markofH

I have a 07 Roadking Custom, engine shuts off when slowing down. Will hear engine die & look down & see oil light lit on speedometer telling me engine is off. Conditions are: clutch in, throttle backed off, braking & shifting down. Only happens once in a while & will start back up right away but is happening more frequently now. Usually happens early in a ride but did happen later in a ride once. Yesterday it happened 4x within first 40 minutes of ride, never happened that much before. Been to dealer 2x & can't find anything. Thinking of replacing on/off switch on handle bars to be pro-active. Any ideas?

There was a software update for the '07s & '08s that dealt with that problem. If your bike's software is still stock, that could very well be the problem. Some dealers would do the upgrade voluntarily, others had to be argued with even though it was a warrantee issue. Symptoms varied a bit from engine to engine, some would not come down to idle, others would stall, or do both, and not all the time.

Also take a look at the IAC stepper motor. It controls idle speed. If it is sticking it could give you idle high or idle low issues. You can flush it yourself using a can of mass airflow sensor cleaner.
I do it every once in while even if I am not experiencing a problem. Easy to do and keeps it running smooth.

Also check for any DTC codes. Easy to do.

Here is a link to check your codes. http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/index.php/t-2362.html

Nothing showing on the DTC codes.

Even if you have no stored codes, you should see the word "None" or "noRPS" along with a part number.

Seeing the word "None" or "noRPS" is very important in knowing if you REALLY have no stored codes.

So when you start the bike, the check engine light comes on for 4 seconds,, then goes out and DOES NOT come back on for 8 another seconds.

I had the same problem with my 07 Street Glide to the point of it becoming very dangerous. The dealer performed a Technical Tip Bulletin #410. This is very common on the '07 Big Twins, it recalibrates the IAC (idle air controller) function. This condition should also set a code P0505 DTC for loss of idle speed control. I hope this helps, Ride Safe!

My 03 RKC would a simular thing, sometimes between shifts, or more comonly while taking a right hand turn, after giving up on dealer diag. I decieded to replace the fuel filter, while doing this I found the connector to the ignition switch was barly plugged in, after pushing the connector back on and being sure it locked on, not only did the stalling problem stop but so did all my very bad backfire proble under deceleration, good luck

I have a 2006 dyna that has done the same thing since day 1. Now it is very bad the engine will just stop, all I have to do is flip the run button and it fires back up. It is getting very annoying. Anybody any ideas?

Back