free website stats program RoadGlide windshield help please. | Harley Davidson Forums

RoadGlide windshield help please.

Hey guys,

I changed the stock windshield for a shorty last week and went to put the stock back on today for a 12 day road tripped we have planned to N.C. starting Friday.

When I went to screw one of the screws back in the inner rubber part fell inside the fairing, I heard it but I cant see it. I took the headlight cover off but cannot see much. Hopefully the fairing does not have to come off for this.:bigsmiley29:

Any help would be appreciated, also do any other roadgliders changed these plastic cheap screws, seems like this could easily happen to all of them.

Thanks for the help smitty, if you get a chance some pics would be helpful as I have not tinkered with the fairing at all yet but I know I will at some point.

I think I will just go buy a few new ones till I get back from my trip as I really don't want to get into that right now and possibly screw something else up before my trip.

I never had a windshield before this bike and have about 1000mi on her with the stock shield. I put the shorty on and ate about 5 bugs in the 1st 2 miles:rofl, maybe when it gets hotter I will try the shorty again but the stock has spoiled me I think.

Thanks again

I just went through the same thing as you, I went to the dealer and picked up some extra grommets for the Windshield, they are $4.00 a piece so be ready, I wound up pulling the Fairing off, Gave me an excuse to put the New Speakers and Amp in while apart, I am not looking to take it apart again, Good Luck with yours!

They are called wellnuts & they are a little stiff when new , it does not hurt to take off the outer fairing to make sure that they seat right . I carry 5 wellnuts , 2 saddlebag pins & 2 sparkplugs with me all the time .

Back