free website stats program road speed sensor | Harley Davidson Forums

road speed sensor

softtail guy

Hello, I am hoping someone can help me out. I was at bike week at laconia this year when my odometer and seedometer stoped working someone told me it is the speed sensor.. who can tell me or show me a picture on where it goes i need to replace it.

thank you

Your speed sensor is located on the transmission just behind the rear pipe. Take it out and clean it first. It is magnetic. Everything should start working again. A word of advice though. Change it out as soon as you can it will fail again. Once they have failed cleaning is only a temporary fix. Also change out your trans. fluid for a good gear lube when you put the new sensor in and you probably wont ever have a problem again.

If its the one to the right of the starter, i removed it and their was nothing on it but a bit of oil. is this the correct on i am look at or is their another.

thanks

Yes it is to the right of the starter. One screw holding it in and a o-ring around it, right.
The lack of metal fuzz is a good thing, for your tranny anyhow. That doesn't mean the SS is good though.

HD07FXST016.gif
# 47 in this picture Welcome to The Forum

Back