free website stats program Road Service | Harley Davidson Forums

Road Service

bikerdad

Boy am I glad I added road service with towing to my insurance. Bike quit and I had to have it towed in for repair. Cam bearing race came apart and part was sucked up into the rear exhaust valve holding it open. Looks like a total engine rebuild. Going to take care of tensioner upgrade while it is apart.

Sorry to hear All the damage, towing is a PLUS in my book ;) I have Hog ( life member back when it was cheap) plus my separate Bike insurance, you just never know when you need it

I have Hog ( life member back when it was cheap) plus my separate Bike insurance, you just never know when you need it
Harley will not even quote price on Membership form. They want to talk to you first. I found someone in 2011 that paid $650.00 for a life membership. Can only imagine what it is now..... Plus all the add-ons to membership if you desire....... Ouch!
I guess you need to sign up early in life to get your moneys worth.....

Harley will not even quote price on Membership form. They want to talk to you first. I found someone in 2011 that paid $650.00 for a life membership. Can only imagine what it is now..... Plus all the add-ons to membership if you desire....... Ouch!
I guess you need to sign up early in life to get your moneys worth.....
I dunno if they offer life any more, I paid for the second year in 1989, I figured @ that time the 250.00 was not a bad deal so I have been a life member since, The towing has paid for itself ;)

I have HD group insurance through Progressive. Towing is only $15.00 per year. The ride my bike got would have ben about $150.00

I have HD group insurance through Progressive. Towing is only $15.00 per year. The ride my bike got would have ben about $150.00

I have progressive as well, used it once to tow my scoot. Towing is a cheap rider to have on your policy.

Glad to hear that your tow was covered. I'm having trouble believing that part of a cam bearing race (or anything in the chest) got into the rocker box and affected the exhaust valve.

I was also very surprised. I was there during the disassembly and found it. Just a small piece of metal that held the valve open. No other damage, just the bearings so I can’t imagine where else it could have come from. I probably could get away with not touching the top end but I want to clean and inspect everything while it is apart.

Glad to hear that your tow was covered. I'm having trouble believing that part of a cam bearing race (or anything in the chest) got into the rocker box and affected the exhaust valve.

Thats what I was thinking! Must have been a real small piece.....

I cannot see how this happened also, Tho I will say in my years of turning wrenches NOTHING surprises me any more. It would not take much interference between a valve and a seat to hang it open lucky no real time damage to the valve or head. I would be flushing the oil system real good and changing the filter sooner and cutting it open to examine JMO

Back