free website stats program Road King wheel change from 16"to 21" | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King wheel change from 16"to 21"

bigtyy

Hello Group, I own a 2005 Road King custom with factory 16"wheels. I am looking to upgrade to the RC 21" chrome rims and Metzler tires. Does anyone know if I have to purchase a separate kit (triple tree & legs) to adjust handling back to factory specs? Also does the front fender have to be raised? Not sure if I'll stay 16" or go 21" in the rear also.

Thanks for any help in this non-emergency situation. It's my first Harley and I am planning on doing a lot of long distance riding this year. I luv that 21" look!

The RKC is set up perfectly as a long distance cruiser. You can change to the 21 inch front for looks but it will not handle as well. Not sure if you can get that handling back or not by messing with the triple trees and what not but I'll bet you can't.

Bottom line - do it for the "look" if you wish but don't expect it to perform as well at its originally intended purpose.

Kinda figured it would sacrifice performance... thanks for the reply.

As long as you know that going into your mods and are willing to trade for the looks, it's still the classic, "your ride, you decide!"

I upgraded to RC Venom 18" front and rear on my 05 Roadking and it did not change the handling at all I think it handles alittle better with the bigger tires . A couple of my friends used 21" front and 18" on the rear and it chaged it alittle at high speed I hope my 2 cents helps .

I upgraded to RC Venom 18" front and rear on my 05 Roadking and it did not change the handling at all I think it handles alittle better with the bigger tires . A couple of my friends used 21" front and 18" on the rear and it chaged it alittle at high speed I hope my 2 cents helps .
Thanks HD chic...18"s are hot also. Did your friend give you any details as to what specifically the 21"change made at high speeds? Hopefully not a wobble. :(

P.S. I was initially looking at the RC Venoms, until I seen the Savages. :)

He did not say anything about wobble just that it was different at high speeds . I think it because its alittle higher off the ground and at high speeds there is more air between you and the ground so I think it would feel different. But thats just my 3 cents

Gotcha... thanks. Maybe not as responsive do to being higher off the ground.

Thanks everyone.. I think I'm leaning towards 21 in the front ad 18 in the rear. I didn't hear anythat that can't be corrected.

I changed to a 21 front and 18 rear, and I love it. I lowered the frontend 1-inch to bring the ride height back down. I had to drill the two rear fender mounting holes bigger for clearance. I think it corners better now, but it does track into road cracks more now. Just my experiance. Hope this helps you.

Just finished installing a Renegade Phantom Cut Cabo 21'' front wheel & fender on a customers 07 FLHX and he loves it.
after.jpg

The front fender lists for $117.50 from V-Twin and we went with Renegade becuse their about $50.00 less per wheel then RC and still a top of the line wheel. Customer has no complaints about the way the bike handles. Used 880's 120/70 21'' front and kept stock size 16'' rear. I think you do adjust to changes in handling, back in the late 80's when I first went to work for Harley I must have looked like I never rode a bike before, because all my bikes were a min 40 degree rake and long front ends, when I got a customers stock bike for a test ride I wanted to wobble, just didn't feel right, was like trying to do everything with my left hand. After years of riding stock during the day and raked out custom at night I'm comfortable on both now.

Back