free website stats program Road king tire size ??? | Harley Davidson Forums

Road king tire size ???

06rdking

Banned
I am in need of a new rear tire before spring and my owners manual calls for a D402MU85B16 dunlop tire. my question is will a wider tire fit without any mods and if so what are the real benifits? thanks.

Classic question...classic answer is you can usually go one tire size without changing handling or encounter clearance problems. Any more and usually will have to do subtle mods of some kind, (some of which escalate other changes to compensate for side effects). Remember, HD has had many years of R&D to tune the suspension and handling balance of a mighty fine machine already.

Bottom line, if changing ONLY the tire, any improvements are usually cosmetic, bigger also means more unsprung weight, lead to less tire patch loading (while sometimes even result in a smaller tire patch due to sidewall pinching (to wide tire for wheel rim width) changing the profile and handling characteristics. All things being equal, if you only change the tire you could do better just by the difference between a semi-worn tire and new tire.

Just ordered a new front and rear for my 06 Road King Police. Went with the Elite 3 bias. Service mgr. said only size MU90HB16 would work for my bike. Maybe a different tire style would be different. Don't know where in MO you are, but my dealer is St.Joe Harley. Right now 10% off all parts, tires included and free mounting for the tires in March.

I run 130/90/16 front and back I can go up 1 size without changing swing arms I believe, but the best handeling is as stated above. 99 roadking classic

more than putting a tire to put a bigger tire than performing. If you increase the width of pneutatico decrease the handling of the motorcycle, and there are very few advantages

the METZELER for example has a complete catalog of pleumatici for HD which considerably increases the stability of the motorcycle during cornering and handling in general

Last edited by a moderator:
more than putting a tire to put a bigger tire than performing. If you increase the width of pneutatico decrease the handling of the motorcycle, and there are very few advantages

the METZELER for example has a complete catalog of pleumatici for HD which considerably increases the stability of the motorcycle during cornering and handling in general
06rdking, I agree with what Skito said, don't do it, the factory know what handles best on your machine.

Just ordered a new front and rear for my 06 Road King Police. Went with the Elite 3 bias. Service mgr. said only size MU90HB16 would work for my bike. Maybe a different tire style would be different. Don't know where in MO you are, but my dealer is St.Joe Harley. Right now 10% off all parts, tires included and free mounting for the tires in March.

I put these on my bike with absolutely no problems, '07 Street Glide. :newsmile011:

The MU(140)85/16 is the biggest tire that will fit...There is just not enough room to go wider...You will have to use a Mu/85 or a Mu/90...do what Krazy3 did...get you some Dunlop E3s...you won't be sorry

Back