free website stats program Road King Steering Dampner | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King Steering Dampner

I have never experienced "the trememdous pressure on the shoulders" they claim to reduce. Handlebar vibrations? The steering damper itself may work, but they are hyping "non issues". Just my opinion.:s

On my 93 i moved the air gage sensor & attached it to underside of triple tree its 3/4 in in size, i thought it be more accurate. I dented top of my fender.I think there correct lowered or not you would dent fender. They need a side mount not under there..

I have never experienced "the trememdous pressure on the shoulders" they claim to reduce. Handlebar vibrations? The steering damper itself may work, but they are hyping "non issues". Just my opinion.:s

I think if you ride the bike at 60 everywhere you would not believe it had a handling problem. (I am not suggesting you do :s)
When I hit a downhill left hander at 85 plus there is a wobble, but only if I roll off the throttle, it seems to be just about ok if I power it through, this is what leads me to believe it might be related to the steering head.

It is a small price to pay if it fixes the problem as it can be unnerving to say the least...

Now i know on my 09 if i accelerate hard to 90 & then shut off throttle i get a wobble if i slowly turn back throttle it ok.Not that brave enough to go that fast in corner.

Take it from a sportbike rider...Advantages: "looks trick", damps vibration and steering woes from improper suspension setup or untested combinations of wheels, tires and chassis/suspension setups. Disadvantage: everything else...expensive, makes slow speed turning lock to lock more effort, masks handling problems that should be fixed (worn tires, suspension parts, too much fall away...etc) and can damage bike or if it fails suddenly (it is usually oil/air dampened) due to lack of maintenance or just plain rough road use, can be more of a liability then an asset (increased complexity, weight and just one more thing to watch out for).

Last edited:
I've noticed this same thing on the 09 RK when on a long curved freeway interchange at about 80 and slowing down. Didn't realize we were going that fast, nice warm sunny day. On slight acceleration, it seemed to self correct through the rest of the curve. I attributed it to decel in curve which typically isn't a good thing unless something is in the road or people are slowing ahead. I typically try and stay well ahead of or behind traffic if possible.
WAP.gif

I've noticed this same thing on the 09 RK when on a long curved freeway interchange at about 80 and slowing down. Didn't realize we were going that fast, nice warm sunny day. On slight acceleration, it seemed to self correct through the rest of the curve. I attributed it to decel in curve which typically isn't a good thing unless something is in the road or people are slowing ahead. I typically try and stay well ahead of or behind traffic if possible.
WAP.gif

Nice to know there are others who have noticed this feature of the Road King, fitting a steering dampener does seem like an excessive thing to do to a Road King, if a Harley can do 100 mph then I reckon its reasonable to expect it to do it safely, otherwise it should have a disclaimer or a limiter. :D

Thats the trouble riding a Busa as a day to day work hack, you get used to high standards in the handling department.... :devil

I think by the time I get these handling niggles sorted out it will be time to dare consider stage 2 or even 3.

bart

Last edited:
Back