free website stats program Road King Ape Hangers | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King Ape Hangers

Fischermp

I took the plunge and bought the 2017 Road King Special. Like the bike so far, just put on 500 miles. I need taller bars so I can sit back more. The 9" apes that are stock force me to lean forward which is uncomfortable for me and my hands start to tingle after awhile. I am 6 foot tall. I would like to avoid having to change out cables. Has anyone with a newer Road King replaced their stock handle bars to a taller bar and not had to replace cables? I am thinking 12" bars may work. Would like to hear about popular brands and heights that would work for this application. Thanks in advance, Mike

I don't wee how you can add a three inch taller bar without having to add at least three inches to your cables and wiring.

You'll have to measure the slack you have in the cables, some have made the change using the stock cables by rerouting them a bit.

Good idea jamesearl. And prolly a lot less money too. Most bikes can stretch to 2" easily, where 3" may be getting into a bind. OP should ask around and see if he can borrow a pair from a friend that has a bunch of parts layin around. Or buy them and if they don't work, return them. At least he'll know what he needs. My Heritage has 14" Apes and I had to change cables and lengthen wires. It seems it's only about 3" taller than stock.

I don't wee how you can add a three inch taller bar without having to add at least three inches to your cables and wiring.
That is what I thought. Just looking at what bothers have done with touring bikes on you tube, it is a matter of cutting the zip ties that hold the cables in place. This allows enough slack in the cables to get the additional 3". I was hoping some else had the 17 road king and added new bars. I may have to replace the cables and extend the wiring, just hoping for a simpler solution. Thanks for the reply.

I installed wild one 12.5" apes internally wired everything when I had my 14 RK. Loved them. Not too tall and not too short...just right! For me anyway! Had a C&C solo seat then as well.

Hey , I know this post is old but.... Just bought a 17 RKS and completely related to stock bars were not working. Started to buy cables and extensions, a buddy says wait and let measure everything once we see their length. Lo and behold there was plenty of slack on cables and only needed one electrical ext fopr throttle. Saved some bucks. Did need a new clamp for aftermarket step down bars. I just installed a 14 inch set apes/meathooks (7 inch pullback) Bars came out tits!

Congrats on your Hbars conversion chilidipper. Nice to listen to friends now & again(lol).
tourbox

Back