free website stats program Road Glide vs Street Glide Fairing | Harley Davidson Forums

Road Glide vs Street Glide Fairing

bobbeidel

Considering a new bike, either the Road Glide or the Street Glide. Does anyone have an opinion on the fixed fairing (RG) versus the fork mounted fairing (SG)?

Thanks,
Bob B

frame mounted fairings are great at isolating wind from the bars (so you dont get the wind pushing the bike around) and probably has the bike feeling lighter although I didnt notice it. That said, even though I have liked the RG, every time I sit on one I just do not like the looks of the interior of that fairing...it looks dated, the radio tacked on and I find it too far from the rider to be a good wind protector although if you get one of the new shaped windshields you can probably find a happy place. For me it came down to how it looked as well as how it performed as both styles have compromises. You will have to decide, but there are worse problems in this world :). Oh, and you will be little more exclusive with a RG over a SG as they dont sell nearly as many.

Yes I do not think I would go back to a Batwing.
Some things about The RG new rules about windshields apply.
Shorts really do not work for most riders.
It may look cool but the wind will get you.
Some of the buffeting ride note comes not from faring but from legs air traveling up.
Head lights are are great
bezel003.jpg

The gauges are tilted back making them easier to read.
I like the storage on each side of the fairing.

I have an 04 Road Glide and a 2010 Ultra Limited. I love both bikes, but if I had to do it over again, I would have stayed with the Road Glide as my primary bike. I love the frame mount faring. The steering feels so light compared to 30lbs of weight on the handlebars of the FLHTK. Also like the way it feels in wind and seems more aerodynamic than the bat wing. I do agree that the interior of the fairing needs updating on the Glide and the radio and speakers seem so far away. Also there is more wind buffeting for tall riders with the Road Glide, which maybe corrected with a different windshield. Maybe we will see something new on the 2015 Road Glide that addresses these issues and make it an even more awesome bike. To some, it is just a matter of what they like in appearance.

Considering a new bike, either the Road Glide or the Street Glide. Does anyone have an opinion on the fixed fairing (RG) versus the fork mounted fairing (SG)?

Thanks,
Bob B

This is a interesting thought for the Road Glide is discontinued for 2014. Your avatar shows that you have a 2009 so there would be hardly a difference with a 2013 unless you would be moving to a Road Glide Ultra. The Road Glide is to returned as a 2015 in late 2014. Riding a 2008 EG and have wanted a Road Glide for a while especially after having the opportunity to ride one, I would wait for the 2015 Road Glide... :s

Do you like the fairing to move with bars, or stay fixed...?? I know the Road Glides have different positioning w/gauges and coloring, but it's always best to take a test run on both and see which you prefer. I rode both and elected on batwing (my preference). Good luck!

With this new design, maybe the batwing will be better than my 2010. I still want to wait and see what RG has to offer for 2015.

Back