free website stats program Road Glide Buffeting | Harley Davidson Forums

Road Glide Buffeting

2004 RG with stock windshield and I seem to be getting a lot of wind buffeting?

Has anyone had luck with larger windshield?

Any suggestions

Any suggestions

The higher your center of gravity is, and the more windage you have strapped on your bike, the more you will feel the buffeting by the wind or by the eddy currents created by large vehicles passing you.

When I first got my UC, I was shocked at the difference in perceived buffeting between the Dyna and the Ultra. I have done a number of things to help lower the center of gravity, and the bike is now much more stable and comfortable to ride. Here are some of the things that have lowered the cog:
  • Lowered the front end and rear end
  • Reach seat that lowers me 1-1.5" and moves me forward about the same
  • Pack the side boxes with the heavier stuff
  • Leave the tour pak or rear rack for lighter stuff
  • Installed a True Track to secure rear of transmission
The main point is to lower your cog, and reduce windage.

TQ

Alot of buffeting can be attributed to the air that hits your knees, and flows up across your chest. Lowers can and will make a huge differance.
Not sure if you can put fork mounted lowers on a glide or not, you'll have to do some checking, but you can definatly mount ultra style lowers on your crash bars.

Next time your out riding, move your hand around to try and divert the air around your knee, you should find a spot that makes a big differance.
:D

FWIW I always believed that the buffeting was caused by the windshiled being too far away from the rider (air spills over and swirls in front of the rider). You might try a slightly larger shield and put a vent in it. A vented windshield greatly reduces buffetting.

You might check out Clearview shield in FL as well as Cee Bailies
H.D. FLTR (Road Glide) Replacement Windshield - for 1998 thru 2003 FLTR models or 2004 UP FLTR models they have some nice stuff and will mod a shield if needed. You might try calling them and running by yur problem with them.

Also this company does make some trim products that do help, I have used them on a few of my past BMW's. Application Guide its best to call them to discuss, there not cheap!

I had a 01 RG and the buffetting was horrible on that plus I had the tour pack on it which I think made it worse. The later year RG the fairing was canted a few degrees to help with this, but again the best bet is a better windshield and if that does not help try adding a vent.

Lowering the bike will do little good as its the design of the fairing and how far the shield is from the rider. You should always have the shield height right below your line of vision to get the best results. Those real low shields are for looks around town.

My fix was to dump the bike and get a Ultra, also RK does offer pretty good wind protection without too much buffetting.

Any suggestions

Last edited:
Correct on test rides but one better rent the bike for a few days and put some real miles on it. A test ride will tell you little, I can remember when I bought my first Road King. The bars and seat felt great.

After I purchased the bike and put 100 miles on it or so that was it , I was screaming in pain from the seat and bars. Again size has a lot to do with it a I'm tall and a big boy with a boney (edit).

I have spoken to these windshiled companies years ago and at that time it was decided that the distance and shape of the windshield from the rider was the biggest problem, but it was years ago and the fairing has been canted since then. Now reading this the problem still exists for some.

I find humor in how much opinions can differ in cases such as these! This is real world experience on both sides of the fence! Just proves the adage 'different strokes for different folks'! I don't question your love for your ride! It's obvious you're opinion is valid and based on experience! I just had such a different experience with mine I think those questioning these appriciate both opinions.

It also goes to show you how important test rides are. That was the last time I bought a bike before riding one. Expensive lesson, but too many of them are.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think test rides are important, but not conclusve as how the bike feels,fits or rides. how many of you were content enough with a stock bike, to not have to make changes? i had to try combinations of shields and seats, lowers and fork baffles.i cant believe that the buffeting cant be stopped... iam 6'6'' tall had to go with a x-lrg clearview and lowers to stop it.. i still think that a shield alone creates a negative pressure or vacume behind the screen and that creates the updraft of air rushing up from below the tank,thats where the lowers come in to slow it down...a vent probably would also help...i have to remove the air baffle between the forks in moderate wheather because of the lack of air flow....the guys just trying to change the shield are only addressing 1/2 the problem

Thanks for all the info and yes I was talking about helmet buffeting. I'm 6'2" so maybe I could use a little taller windshield. When I lower my head a little it reduces the buffeting.

Back