free website stats program RKC Rear shocks | Harley Davidson Forums

RKC Rear shocks

Duffer

I've got fluid leaking from the left rear shock.
Do I need to replace in pairs or can I just change out the bad one?
Also is there any advantage to changing over to a non air type shock. If so what recomendations (experiences) do you all have?
Thanks in advance.

I would always replace shocks as a pair
after use for a few years the shocks do wear the springs do become weaker etc but the pair wear together as a pair
if you put 1 new shock on then the back end would be out of balance as 1 shock would be taking more of the load

Brian

Very kind of you Hobbit. Makes me proud that there are good people on this site and that my son is fighting for them.

Hobbit, you are the man:worthy
The people on this forum are definitely a cut above. I am honored to be a member of this "family".
Hopefully I can pay it back (or forward) some day.
Thank you

Make sure you plug the shock, and then when you get the shock let them sit upright extended for a while before taking the plug out. if you lose oil, there is no way of telling how much oil you lost.

Thorns

I would always replace shocks as a pair
after use for a few years the shocks do wear the springs do become weaker etc but the pair wear together as a pair
if you put 1 new shock on then the back end would be out of balance as 1 shock would be taking more of the load

Brian

i think you will find that air springs are not going to wear, the only difference will be a small break in period. i have replace stock shocks individually on tourers many times without any problems. the best thing to do is replace with a better pair but to save time and money 1 shock is quite ok

I just had my wifes 06 ultra in for tires and was advised that the left air shock was leaking and needed replacement I said I would replace it myself and the dealer never even mentioned a need to change both at the same time, and actually I never even considered it anyway changed the left side pretty easy and everything seems fine now.

Back