free website stats program RK test ride | Harley Davidson Forums

RK test ride

Drew

So I took a 2009 RKC for a spin yesterday... they are just absolutely beautiful machines. Two things I noticed (especially when compared to the heritage softail) is the slightly forward sitting position and noticeable vibration while stopped. The bike handled really well (and this is coming from a guy who has only ridden a sportster) and was smooth. The Heritage feels more comfortable, with its more laid back riding position, and lumbar support provided by the passenger seat. Besides real long haul comfort on the RK (which is not really the kind of riding I'm doing at this point), what would I be giving up going with a heritage compared to RK? I like the looks of the RK better, and in general, want to like the RK better. I think the Heritage is cool looking as well (save the studded saddle bags... but I can live with those).

I know it's all personal opinion, but I'm hoping to get some thoughts from those more experienced, or have maybe owned both.

thanks
Drew

Having owned a few bikes which include thew RK and Softail, the ride and handling of the RK surpasses the Softail, different rake on the front end adds to the better handling besides a different shock setup and frame to mention a few things. Let's not forget the rigid mount with counter balancers on the Softail compared to the rubber mount of the RK.
At idle the rubber mount will actually shake a bit more than the counter balanced Softail will, but on the highway there's a little difference with the rubber mount winning the gold here.
The RK will give you a better ride as well as carrying capacity with the better ride due to more travel in the rear suspension and a different setup completely than the Softail. Add to that the air assist that is standard on the RK and you pick up more traveling comfort as well ad load carrying if you travel. Overall if I were to choose again between the two, it would be the RK hands down for the creature comforts.The RK will handle very well in close quarters and around town too.

True you feel you are sitting ON the RK and IN the Softail but seats can be changed to your linkng. The difference is due to the shape of the frame.

I certainly can't compare the rides of the two...I've never been on a Soft tail...but I can offer this information. I love the Road King because of its versatility. In less than 10 minutes I can convert my Road King to a full blown touring Bike to a kinda of sporty looking Road King are I should say the normal RK look. I was pointed to a Road King by friend when I decided I was gonna get into this crazy world of Harley...attaching a couple links so you can see what I do to the bike depending on what I'm doing...Good Luck which ever way you go.....

From This Custimized my Roadking a bit - Harley Davidson Community Members Gallery

to this in less than 10 minutes With stock Windshield and tour pak - Harley Davidson Community Members Gallery

and even this to light her up....lol Custimized my Roadking a bit - Harley Davidson Community Members Gallery

so have fun with it...oh yeah and you can even use it to go to the country club

Goin Golfin - Harley Davidson Community Members Gallery

Last edited:
What about wind? I have a Super Glide Custom with a WindVest windshield and I still get wind coming around the windshield and I still get buffeting on my head. I'm 6'1". I've been looking at the Road Glide and that big honkin' fairing. Does it keep the wind off your head and body? I've test ridden the Road King and I still felt the wind.

What about wind? I have a Super Glide Custom with a WindVest windshield and I still get wind coming around the windshield and I still get buffeting on my head. I'm 6'1". I've been looking at the Road Glide and that big honkin' fairing. Does it keep the wind off your head and body? I've test ridden the Road King and I still felt the wind.

Actually I feel more wind with the Fairing than I do with the Wind screen that came with the Road King. I guess coz of the shape of the fairing. I don't think you will ever not feel wind unless your in a cage

Several companies are making replacement shields for the batwing fairings with a slight curve or lip along the top that almost create a bubble of calm air to ride in. Height of the shield depends on your height and whether you want to look through or over the shield.

the description on the HD website says the handle bars on the RK are adjustable... what exactly can be done with the stock bars?

thanks
Drew

Hey Drew,
I bought my first Harley, an FLSTN (Heritage Nostalgia) for the looks.
And my FLHRCI (Road King Classic Fuel Injected) for the ride.
You sound like a nice guy, get the RK.:D

Hey Drew,
I bought my first Harley, an FLSTN (Heritage Nostalgia) for the looks.
And my FLHRCI (Road King Classic Fuel Injected) for the ride.
You sound like a nice guy, get the RK.:D

LOL! Thanks John... man, this is a tough decision. I LOVE the looks of the RKC, so that is not at all the issue. It's just overall comfort of that compared to the flstc.

any suggestions on a more comfortable seat for the RK? Maybe a little bit deeper and softer, wth some lower back support (so you're sitting more "in" it than "on" it.) The stock seat on the RK is pretty rigid... I could see it getting uncomfortable after a while. I will also have to do something with the handle bars (bring them up and back a bit), but I already have some ideas on what to do for those.

still undecided
Drew

Back