free website stats program Rinehart slip-ons hit axle | Harley Davidson Forums

Rinehart slip-ons hit axle

bootlegger

Okay, here's the deal, I got all my parts for a Stage 1, I put on the TFI and new air cleaner then I got to the new Rineharts. As soon as I put on the right side muffler I could see it was going rub, less than 1/16th inch clearance. So I put the bike on the jack and as soon as I started lifting it the axle nut hit the muffler. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm thinking I might be able put a small spacer between the brackets and the muffler to get clearance, but what the heck, these are $500 mufflers. I'll be calling Rinehart/Clearline in the morning, but if anybody has any suggestions please let me hear them.

09 & later slip-ons should have a indent in the muffler by the axle to prevent it from hitting, I would call Rine Heart and see if they sent you pre 09 mufflers.

Most mufflers I've installed that were made after 09 have a indent for the new frame on touring models, they will retro back for fittment so they put the indents in them all just like pipes with O2 sensors, if you had a pre 07 model you have to plug the holes. Don't know if the Rine Hearts are wide enough to need a indent but in your case it sounds like they should.

So I called Rinehart this morning and told them my issue, their answer "1/16th is enough clearance, when you sit on the bike you'll get a little more". That's not really good enough I think, so I added a small spacer on each bolt to open it up a little. It looks good and they sound very nice, but not obnoxious. Stage 1 is complete and now it time for some test rides.

Can you send pictures? I have an 09 Ultra and am considering Rinehart pipes. I want to be sure about this prior to dropping 5 benjamins.......

My pipes are Rinehart Racing slip-on's (09 FLHX) & they have the indent like Chopper states. This allows for plenty of clearance. Sounds like your shims worked so thre's additional clearance - let's see the pics...

My pipes are Rinehart Slip ons & they have the indent like Chopper states, there is a right and left as well so check the numbers on the pipe.

OK, so all here with the Rineharts, how do you like them? Any regrets? What is the diameter of the slip on's? With the larger rear on the newer models, I am curious if they look large enuff....... I noticed many scooters with the 180 rear makes the pipes look smaller.

Back