free website stats program Right Front and Rear Turn Signal Malfunction | Harley Davidson Forums

Right Front and Rear Turn Signal Malfunction

jukeboxpunk

Hello and good day to everyone. I am experiencing what seems to be a common mishap with HD Sportsters. That being my right front and right rear directional being inoperational on my 2003 HD Sportster Anniversay Edition. Not even the console right turning signal lights up. The right directional will work occasionally and mid way through my 10 minute ride in the mornings to work it cuts out on me. This is what I have done so far...

Ive replaced the bulbs from the left side to the right side directionals. The bulbs from the right work fine in the left; however, the right side remain inoperational.
I took apart the right hand housing for the Turning Signal, Engine On switch and Start switch. The connection for the Turning switch looked fine. I sprayed contact cleaner in the area and ensured it was dry. That didn't work.
Today I looked under my seat for any loose connections to see if maybe a bumb may have caused this issue. Nothing.

I am at the point to assume I have a faulty switch; however, if it were faulty would it not work? It works when it wants to. I am lost.

Please any assistance would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

That's a difficult problem to isolate. I would think it is in a plug connection in the harness myself which can be a problem to locate. You have to go point by point in the schematic to find out where you are loosing the connection.
Isolate the circuit, then check at the middle of the circuit to see if you have a circuit there and work back if there is no circuit there and forward if there is.

Possibly check where the two directional lights come together and plug into the main harness and go from there using a test light or a volt meter.

Alright I will do that. Is there anywhere I can get a wiring diagram as a guide for a 2003 HD Sportster Anniversay Ed.?

I'm not sure how much things have changed between 2003 and 2006, but based on the wiring diagram I downloaded from the link provided, you have the same setup my 2006 XL1200C has. The turn signal logic is located in the TSSM module (turn signal module) that is probably located somewhere below your battery in your bike. (yeah, you have to remove the battery to get to this module, and it's described in the service manual).

This module contains not only the logic that drives the flashing function, but also the tilt sensor for automatic shut off after you've banked a turn and indicate if your bike has been knocked over!

This module is really tied into all of the workings of your bike right down to preventing your bike from starting after being knocked over until you clear the problem. You might have one of a couple of problems with this module, including a loose connection or a corroded pin/connection. Your handlebar switches trigger this module and the output drives your bulbs including the dash indicator.

I'd be checking the wiring between your switches and the light fixtures and this module, but only after unplugging it a few times and reconnecting to kind of manually wipe the pins clean. Electronic contact cleaner works too, but you must be careful of what brand/type that you use as some of them can melt the plastic connectors and that's a problem that is hell to correct.

Anyway, that's where I'd start looking-the center of the turn signal universe!

Steve Scott

I have a couple of thoughts on this. My buddy has a 99 softail that we have extensively modified, and he had a non operational left turn signal. We got a turn signal module, at like $125 for the part, plugged it in and still no flashing turn signal on the left. So there was $125 wasted as electrical parts are non-returnable. So we changed the turn signals from the old "pancake" style lights to the newer "Deuce" style lights. (same as on the late model bikes with the snap in lenses) When I was doing the wiring (which I always solder as I don't trust crimp connectors) the left front turn signal wiring looked like someone's rottweiler used the wire for a chew toy. Now he still had marker lights and still had dash lights, but I am guessing that somewhere on your sporty there is wiring that looks like someones dog's chew toy. Make sure that your wiring isn't being pinched around the neck/triple tree area. Since it works when you first fire it up, and then quits, I am guessing that you are shorting out the light or losing connection. Do you always turn your front wheel to the left when you park? Try turning the wheel to the right or leaving it straight and see what happens. I would start at the light and trace your wires back to the connector. On my 07 they are routed on the left side of the bike under the fuel tank, should be the same on yours, but I'm not sure. It is simple to figure this out on one hand, on the other it is really frustrating. Try to diagnose it yourself as your local Harley thief will charge you at least $100 to re-solder a wire, not to mention not having your bike for probably two weeks. Avoid the HD thieves if at all possible. Like everyone else has recommended get a multi-tester, or if you are cheap like me go to auto zone and buy a replacement light socket for an 1187 or 1186 bulb (on the "Help" display for an 80's chevy will work.) and make your own test light with the socket and a working bulb. Either take your gas tank off or cover it up with an old shirt so you don't scratch it up and take your time, you will be able to figure this out, and when you do, you'll be able to brag about how much money you saved and you woln't feel like a new fish in prison like you would if you went to the HD thief!!!

I have found that the TSM was not the issue. The issue resided underneath the rear fender with one of the grounding wires being freyed. I am kind of at a loss on how to remove the rear fender. If someone would please inform me how to remove the fender I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

So I went to Harley Davidson earlier to buy a new right rear directional since I could not buy just the connection cable (purple/black wire). The cable was freyed from the tire hitting it, this in turn caused the right directional to malfunction. So I have everything back on the bike except the saddle bags. My next step is to finish running the cable up along the interior of the fender so that this will not happen again. Then I will need to crimp the ends to the pignose that plugs directly into the tail lamp.

Back