free website stats program Riding With A Passenger | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding With A Passenger

Shelby6t7

I have been riding for many years, mainly solo. I now have a friend that would like to ride on the back of my 2002 Fat Boy. I feel kinda dumb asking, but can any recommend the proper techniques on riding with a passenger?

Thanks

We had an informative (and often amusing) thread on this not long ago.
As simple as it sounds, there were many important safety issues covered.
Try a search for something like "two up". Maybe someone else can remember the thread title better.

Give your passanger the speech
This is hot, your feet go here and here. Always always keep your feet on the pegs, don't try to put your feet down at stops
Bikes lean when they turn, just sit still and look over my inside shoulder, that is all you need to do.
Don't get on or off till I (that is you the driver) tell you to.
And look up some of the threads. It is a little different two up so make sure you take some time go get used to it also. (more preload on the shocks)

Give your passanger the speech
This is hot, your feet go here and here. Always always keep your feet on the pegs, don't try to put your feet down at stops
Bikes lean when they turn, just sit still and look over my inside shoulder, that is all you need to do.
Don't get on or off till I (that is you the driver) tell you to.
And look up some of the threads. It is a little different two up so make sure you take some time go get used to it also. (more preload on the shocks)

Mattman has you covered pretty much, tire pressures are different with 2 up riding. For your FatBoy, solo 36 front 38 back, 2 up 36 front 42 back.

Mattman has you covered pretty much, tire pressures are different with 2 up riding. For your FatBoy, solo 36 front 38 back, 2 up 36 front 42 back.

Remember that the tire pressure is based on weight and not necessarily 1 or 2 people. I am above average weight and more so when I add my riding clothes and some stuff in my saddle bags. I ride at the "2 up" pressures all the time.

I ride mainly solo, but occasionally ride two-up with the wife. I maintain 42 P.S.I. in my rear tire for when she rides with me.

Do you guys maintain the higher tire pressure even if your riding is only occasionally two-up?

I ride as much 2 up as solo. Manual states 36 front/40 rear for 2 up for my 08 Heritage and I leave it there most of the time but will also not worry about adding air to the rear unless the pressure gets to 38 PSI or below.

Only real down side to leaving the higher pressure riding solo might be faster center tread wear as I cannot tell the difference in how she handles with 38 vs/40 PSI when riding solo. On a long trip I must admit I would adjust the air in the rear if it was 38 PSI and I was riding 2 up.

Back