free website stats program Riding for 65 yrs. | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding for 65 yrs.

Phil L.

Greetings....well actually longer than that if you count one onery pony , a few quarter horses and my first mini bike at 12. Then a few different dirt bikes (350 XL, 250 Can-Am). Built a VW trike (scary) in the early seventies, finally got a '74 XLCH in 1979, later in 1981 a Superglide '76 (traded a 1100 Midnight Special plus he kicked in $500 for it !) . In 1984 bought my first new Softail HDFXST and finally ended up with a 2002 Road King Screamin' Eagle. Been very dependable until last week and that's why I joined.
Came out of the restaurant, fired it up, it ran for 2-3 seconds and shut off. Same thing over and over. Going to do some searching in hopes of finding a solution on here.

Welcome from Pittsburgh Pa! I am by no means a motorcycle mechanic but I had the same problem with my 03 softail only to find out both battery wires were loose.

First reply is a good starting point.
Loose wires always a pain. Loose fuse wiring also. Loose negative connection to frame. Etc etc.
Fuel starvation?
How about low fuel level and pinholes in the fuel supply line inside your tank. When the level drops below them and they become exposed, air is sucked in.
More information would help.

Welcome from Spokane Washington.
After cleaning the battery cable, lift up the apron and check the connector to the main switch, I had an 03 RKC that would shut down on sharp turns, along with shotgun type backfiring on deceleration, found it came disconnected as I lifted the apron up when I was going to replace the fuel filter.
Cleaned the connector and was able to feel the click of the locking tab when I reassembled and no problems again.
Good luck.

If you start at 12 on a mini bike.
Must be 77 plus if it maters.
I have a friend pushing 80 and jumps on his trike sometimes he even rides for a few miles.

Back