free website stats program Riding after Total Hip Replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding after Total Hip Replacement

Chief4774

After years of wishing and dreaming I was finally able to get a road king last summer. Now post surgery 3 days from a total hip replacement. Have you had a hip replacement and still on the road?
:newsmile014:

Chief, Good luck to you. Do your rehab and push your strength building to the max. You should be just fine.
I have a good friend who is a hi-mile BMW rider and he has had both hips and both knees replaced. One of the hips has been done more than once.
I can't keep up with him on the bike and I've still got all my own parts!!
He always credits his thorough rehab for his continued mobility.

Thanks for the response gs. It helps to know I'm not the first and this is not the end of the road.
I'll set my goal to getting back on the road again, and do whatever it takes to get there.

A farmer friend down the road had a hip replacement and with all he does I know he would not have a problem on a bike. He still does all the work around his cattle farm. My next door nieghbor had a knee replaced and his moto is he is just going to keep replaceing parts as they were out.

Haven't had one myself, but know a rider who has. He told me the key was to participate fully in the physical therapy and exercises. (Remember, the only difference between torture and therapy is one of intent.) Also, follow the instructions about initially limiting flexion of the hip. You should then be able to start riding again without any problems.

I had a hip replacement in feb. 06 at 48 years old and I wish I'd done it two or three years sooner. I never had any real pain after the surgery or during rehab compaired to what I was used to before the operation. I was up and walking with cruches in a few hrs. and was using just a cane after a week and a half. They kept me home from work for 6 weeks but I felt ready after 3 weeks. I haven't had any problem since.

Kevin

Echoing what GS34 said. Strength training is really important the older we get. I have found that it is the key to virtually all the aches, pains, tendonitis, etc. associated with age. I haven't had the hip replacement, but I had back surgery. After following the rehab program the surgeon and physical therapist recommended, I still had significant problems. So, I took the program into my own hands and put together a strengthening program to complement the stretching, etc. they recommended. The results were unbelieveable and I'm pain free.

You and your body know what's best.

Good luck!!!!!

Thank you for the support. This is actually hip number 2, now bionic in both. Sharky, weight training is good insight, it is more important now than every before. KPFLHRSI I am on track with your therapy. Who long did it take before you went for a ride? I hope the summer is not lost.
Smitty, thanks for reminding me to keep this in prospective, especially those with less have done more and keeping a state of mind to recover.
Jim B. thanks for the words of encouragement.
Each day is getting better than the last. After day 1, I had my doubts of purpose and recovery. Today is much brighter and there is a future.
CHEIF

Hi Cheif, I didn't have a motorcycle at that time so it was about a year and a half. Before the surgery I had permission and money for a new bike and could not swing a leg over in the showroom without useing my hands to pull up my leg and over, figured it was time to do something, took over a year before my wife thought it was ok to get the bike.

Kevin

I was hit head on by a car (on my Road King) and my hip was smashed. One big surgery to repair everything and 6 months of rehab. Then due to the cartilage dying, a total hip about 4 years after the initial trauma. I rode between surgeries and ride now.

Rehab is the key. Do enough leg weight training to be secure in holding your bike up and be able to pick it up if (when?) you drop it.

I used to need a cane and kept one of those folding canes in my saddlebag. One plus: You get off your bike and walk into a joint on a cane...even the roughest "biker bar" -- everyone is very respectful.

Back