free website stats program return oil in tank | Harley Davidson Forums

return oil in tank

Billbo

Hello all - I have a 01 Heritage Softail with 42K miles - use HD Dino oil and have a question.

When I first start up my bike - I take the dipstick out and look inside with a flashlight - I see gosh awfull looking brownish foamy looking return oil inside the tank. After riding - I again look inside - and its all nice and black looking with no foam - thin looking - but no foam. No complaint with the oil - just wondering IF I have a concern or not when I first start it with the color and foam??

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
It's just air in the return line from sitting. It purges out after a min. of running. The brownish look is probably because its foam, and translucent. If you have moisture in the oil it will be milky.

It's just air in the return line from sitting. It purges out after a min. of running. The brownish look is probably because its foam, and translucent. If you have moisture in the oil it will be milky.
Thanks Breeze3at - I appreciate the info.

Say, I also have one of those oil temp gage dipsticks - nice shinny chrome dipstick - but very difficult for me to read (Im not a spring chicken anymore) plus its like sticking the chrome dipstick in water and trying to read - anyway, what would you or anyone else have to say IF I took a file and made me a nice big level mark on the side of that shinny dipstick where their tiny little hatch marks are or maybe even filing OFF the chrome all the way down one side so I can read the level easier. Just asking - I guess I really dont see any problem with doing that unless the rest of the chrome may flake off into the oil. what do you think??

Thanks
Bill

Thats exactly what I did to the "tempstick" I had on my Sportster. I filed nice notchs at the full and add marks. I never noticed any flaking, and had it for 10 years.

Back