free website stats program retro fit | Harley Davidson Forums

retro fit

xrap51

ok, here goes. i recently bought a 2002 nemess. thats a softail kit bike. it has a 100ci.. revtech motor with a harley 5 speed tranny. it did have one of those 4" external primary belts. i have convertered back to a close primary with the chain drive. i put a 98 clutch basket in it. i've adjusted this thing every which way u can. by the book, by the video & and every one else's way. it gets close but it still wants to run throught the clutch. (pull back on clutch and still wants to move, not a lot but enough.) i can holed it with my legs but give it just a lil bit of gas & there's no holding it. it calls for 9 friction plates & 8 steel plates & every thing is put together rite as far as i know!? i'm tired of pulling this thing down. any body have any suggestions. it might be something that's right in front of me & i'm just getting aggravetated.
thanks guys,
xrap51

If it is the correct plates for that clutch basket then possibly warped plates, pushrod not the correct length, or the wrong grade of oil in the primary are a few thoughts of where i would look first

Brian

thanks for the input. now i have another ? now the long push rod are they all the same lenght? the adjusting push rod on the belt clutch was 1" longer due to thicker pressure plate. new adjuster & lock nut was installed for that type of clutch. all friction plates & steel plates are new and checked for warpage. everything new expect the hub and clutch basket. i have no info on this type of clutch i'd like to have a diagram on it just to make sure everthing is there. it's just like the one in the video on adjusting the clutch, has the six bolts on the pressure plate. do those bolts get set to a certian depth or do they just tighten up to the basket?

thanks for the input. now i have another ? now the long push rod are they all the same lenght? the adjusting push rod on the belt clutch was 1" longer due to thicker pressure plate. new adjuster & lock nut was installed for that type of clutch. all friction plates & steel plates are new and checked for warpage. everything new expect the hub and clutch basket. i have no info on this type of clutch i'd like to have a diagram on it just to make sure everthing is there. it's just like the one in the video on adjusting the clutch, has the six bolts on the pressure plate. do those bolts get set to a certian depth or do they just tighten up to the basket?

The bolts on the pressure plate take the place of a diaphragm on a Harley wet clutch, You need to have a starting point here, also if the push rod length is wrong you will never get the clutch to release or engage properly. Did this set up ever work correctly or was it pieced together?

The same long clutch push rod should fit most of the evo gearbox/clutch from 90 on wards
i am assuming that as the gearbox is a 98 then the clutch is also from a 98 so that the 2 are a match
i do not know anything about setting up an aftermarket pressure plate perhaps the pressure plate manufacturer can give you some info on the setup
but from what you have said it almost seems like you do not have sufficient movement of the pressure plate to allow full separation of the clutch plates
so areas to look at are pressure plate push rods and clutch cable however if possible it may be worth trying a stock setup

Brian

HAS the clutch been adjusted EXACTLY as HDDons video he supplied????

IF so, it is a problem OTHER than adjustment...:newsmile055:

signed....BUBBIE

jack, thanks for ur time. one thing i haven 't tried is putting the longer adjustment rod in it. i'm gone try that. it can't hurt. whats happening is i'm running out of cable on my on my end play. hopefully it will give me what i need. if not i'll be back..

thanks guys, like i told jack, i'm gonna try using the longer adjustment rod. yes to ur ? it's an hd clutch & gear box. u know what, it has a 1" offset in for the wider tire & the belt primary ( extranal) that i took off. i put the 1" offset ring in it, so mayby i need to use the 1" longer rod. what ya'll think?

jack, thanks for ur time. one thing i haven 't tried is putting the longer adjustment rod in it. i'm gone try that. it can't hurt. whats happening is i'm running out of cable on my on my end play. hopefully it will give me what i need. if not i'll be back..

AS long as the longer Rod gives you "Free Play", it won't hurt a thing and will probably give you the Length needed to separate the plates (that is probably what is happening):D

Keep it tight (1/16") at the clutch handle.

signed....BUBBIE

Back