free website stats program Restore to Mid Controls? | Harley Davidson Forums

Restore to Mid Controls?

j_wellman2005

New to the forum and to HD. Please direct me if this topic has already been run into the ground.

I recently bought my first HD (1982 XLS-1000 Roadster) from my father. He put some time/money into it so its nice to keep it in the family. That said, the bike has had forward controls ever since he bought it years ago. Thats not a big deal for him (6'2'' 250 lbs) but it is for me (5'8'' 160 lbs). I went to the HD dealership today and asked around to see if they had spare mid controls or if there was a kit. The guy at the desk told me that I should either get used to the forward controls or sell it. He said that restoring it to mids would require changing out some expensive parts and wasn't worth it.

I've been looking over the bike and comparing it to the actual manual and I don't see what he's talking about. The biggest expense I see if on the brake side. Obviously I would need a new brake pedal, shorter push-rods, and all the little parts to secure it all properly. On the shifter side, I only need to put a nob on the end of the existing shifter and rotating it down to be able to catch it with my foot. I don't see that a single internal part or master cylindar will need to be modified/replaced. Obviously I would also have to add the foot pegs but I've seen them on Ebay for a reasonable price. Though I haven't seen anyone selling the complete mid controls set yet. That would be too convenient.

So am I crazy for trying to bring it back to mids? Is the HD dealership full of it? I really don't want to get rid of the bike but its not comfortable at all to ride. I'm practically sitting on the gas tank to change gears and brake.

Welcome J. Wellman to the HDTimeline Forum...where HD riders and enthusiasts share ideas to work on their rides and make them perform better. Make sure you take an opportunity to check out the tabs near the top of the page...Self Help Tips make specific servicing techniques simple and easy, the Search using keywords will help you find threads related to your particular interest.

That said...Adding mid controls ONLY is easy...the bracket pair with allen socket head mounting hardware is about $79 in black or $89 in chrome, as is the pins, c-clips & washers kit at $8.95. In my case I purchased the Kuryakin Min-Wings as I chose to leave the forwards with controls as is. You may notice that I have plenty of different footrests for rider comfort, the forward controls being the primary foot position of choice.

I am 5' 6" and did adjust the foward controls to fit me, and sounds like you will have to raise the shifter and brake pedal couple notches by removing the holddown screw completely to allow you to remove the control levers properly. Yes you can machine or cut a piece of pipe to fit over blank pivot area where the footbrake pedal would have gone to make things look "stock". I just like the mid position for handling the bike in dirt and rough roads, and "adapted" to the forward foot controls position and like them.

2004SportsterXL1200R9-9-09-1.jpg

KuryakinMiniWings.jpg

Last edited:
I figured I'd post a pic of my setup. I don't think it will take much to restore it back to mids but I don't have any of the original parts. Anyone know of a kit or have an old set?

Brake.jpg

Shifter.jpg

That said...Adding mid controls ONLY is easy...the bracket pair with allen socket head mounting hardware is about $79 in black or $89 in chrome, as is the pins, c-clips & washers kit at $8.95. In my case I purchased the Kuryakin Min-Wings as I chose to leave the forwards with controls as is. You may notice that I have plenty of different footrests for rider comfort, the forward controls being the primary foot position of choice.

I am 5' 6" and did adjust the foward controls to fit me, and sounds like you will have to raise the shifter and brake pedal couple notches by removing the holddown screw completely to allow you to remove the control levers properly. Yes you can machine or cut a piece of pipe to fit over blank pivot area where the footbrake pedal would have gone to make things look "stock". I just like the mid position for handling the bike in dirt and rough roads, and "adapted" to the forward foot controls position and like them.

I didn't know that I could leave both controls in place. I've wanted to switch to forward controls, but wasn't sure I would like it.

I have a couple boxes of old Sportster parts....not sure about everything but I am pretty sure I have at least some rider and passenger foot pegs, maybe some other stuff that could help.

I'll try to look into what I have in the next couple days if that will help.

That would be really great man. I have a buddy who has a newer sporty and of the couple of extras he's had, they haven't been compatible with my older ride. Let me know what you come up with. I'm sure we can come to some arrangement.

Rich & JW, look at the link below, scroll to the footrest schematic and check the parts list...just to be sure you are looking at the same stuff. I was in error in that putting mid pegs only is simple, as you already have the forward controls...at first glance, but looking at the schematic and checking what parts you have/need will be the real "tale of the tape".

1982 Harley Davidson XLS OEM Parts, 1982 Harley Davidson XLS OEM Motorcycle Parts - BikeBandit.com

I would leave the forward controls as is, and just get the parts to mount mid position pegs. If they end in standard HD male mounts like most modern HD's, you will have a better selection for type of pegs (w/ or w/o stirrups, mini-wing (Kuryakin aftermarket as an example) or even floorboards.

Glider had a website that had Harley restoration "stuff" and J Dolan has many vintage bikes, and could probably turn you on to a number of parts that can provide restoration original or fabricated parts.

Back