free website stats program Research Paper | Harley Davidson Forums

Research Paper

callmespot

Doing research on 1999 to current model year bikes. I am looking for people to share their experiences involving cylinder heat issues. Issues must be on stock motorcycles. Any documentation would be helpful. California models are preferred

I know there are tons of posts to follow up on but I wanted to start from a fresh post

Thanks in advance

At least on the touring models the ECM heat management will kick in at give you some indication of the engine getting hot. On my '09 Dyna 96 I have nothing. No management system, no gauge, no anything... And Oil temp and cylinder temp do not parallel at all so an oil temp gauge is not going to tell me much.. The other day after coming back from a normal street cruise the SEST said the cylinder temp was 298 degrees and it really was not even hot outside (maybe 88 degrees). No stage 1 but trust me, you can't run any richer than I am running and not blow black smoke.

We all know what the oil temp limits are and need to be but I would really like to know what the limit was on cylinder head temp. I have read in some places 320 for cylinder temp was it. I hope that is not true because I was already at 300 degrees and it was just another day in the park. What do the guys in Dallas Texas do in the middle of the summer?

At least on the touring models the ECM heat management will kick in at give you some indication of the engine getting hot. On my '09 Dyna 96 I have nothing. No management system, no gauge, no anything... And Oil temp and cylinder temp do not parallel at all so an oil temp gauge is not going to tell me much.. The other day after coming back from a normal street cruise the SEST said the cylinder temp was 298 degrees and it really was not even hot outside (maybe 88 degrees). No stage 1 but trust me, you can't run any richer than I am running and not blow black smoke.

We all know what the oil temp limits are and need to be but I would really like to know what the limit was on cylinder head temp. I have read in some places 320 for cylinder temp was it. I hope that is not true because I was already at 300 degrees and it was just another day in the park. What do the guys in Dallas Texas do in the middle of the summer?

Hoop, I run my bike every day here in Florida even today it is 95 and heat index over 100, yeah its hot as long as im not in stop and go traffic I dont worry too much:D

Hoop, I run my bike every day here in Florida even today it is 95 and heat index over 100, yeah its hot as long as im not in stop and go traffic I dont worry too much:D

Jack, I am not too worried as long as the bike is moving but I was wondering how much it could take in a traffic jam. If I had a light or something to tell me I am over the top and I should stop and wait it out.

Actually, I would like to know what the "top" really is. Seems like 320 is the number but I don't know for sure.

Have a '99 Ultra. Did the hydraulic tensioner change about two years ago which included the newer high volume oil pump. I have a HD oil cooler, and run Mobil 1 V Twin synthetic. Have a McEwan oil temp gauge and it rarely gets over 200 with NJ temps. Sitting in slow traffic one hot summer day I think it got to 215, but that's it. At about 200, the viscosity starts to thin a tad, because pressure drops from the "32" that HD gauge reads to about 25. Hope that helps.

Have a '99 Ultra. Did the hydraulic tensioner change about two years ago which included the newer high volume oil pump. I have a HD oil cooler, and run Mobil 1 V Twin synthetic. Have a McEwan oil temp gauge and it rarely gets over 200 with NJ temps. Sitting in slow traffic one hot summer day I think it got to 215, but that's it. At about 200, the viscosity starts to thin a tad, because pressure drops from the "32" that HD gauge reads to about 25. Hope that helps.

Of course oil temp is very important but I think the OP wanted to know more about cylinder temp. Oil temp is so much more stable than cylinder temp which is all over the map.

Jack, I am not too worried as long as the bike is moving but I was wondering how much it could take in a traffic jam. If I had a light or something to tell me I am over the top and I should stop and wait it out.

Actually, I would like to know what the "top" really is. Seems like 320 is the number but I don't know for sure.

I have had responses over that number as well. I was researching NTHSA complaints and many dont know the temp or are using an infared type device to read it

I am going to give Brian over at Revolution Performance a call and ask him what the limits would be. They would have to know since they are in the cylinder and piston business. I am sure they see many come back warp and twisted from excessive heat...

I got it now ,and I too would like to know cause and affect on the cylinders and mating surfaces are going to take a severe beating, post the results when you get them Hoop:D

Back